Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want another try at it

Default Want another try at it

My baby is 5 weeks old. I started bf at the hospital and had some difficulty getting her to latch on. She would at times latch on great then times when she would get frustrated. I would then throw in the towel, and supplement with formula. When I went home she would at times latch on then times when I would pump and bottle feed. I continued to pump and would get 6-8 oz and bottle fed her for two weeks. Towards the end of the second week I noticed I was only pumping 4 oz. (I think because I was not eating properly... it's hard to cook a meal with a newborn.) So, I just gave up trying to get her to latch on and pumping. I have been supplementing with formula ever since and I have been feeling guilty that I gave up trying to BF. I recently tried getting her to latch on, but she is not having it. I want to know if it's even possible to get my milk to come back in and would like some advice on getting her to latch on.

Default Re: Want another try at it

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Let us know how it goes or if you have questions along the way. There are some mamas on these boards who have successfully relactated at a variety of ages, so hopefully they'll pipe in as well. Good luck!!!

Yes! Can be done Along with checking out the links, maybe get in touch with your local LLL leader. Good luck and let us know how things go!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Hi, I just wanted to add that pumping 6-8 ounces at a time is way more than normal and 4 ounces at a time is more on the normal end of the spectrum. At the beginning your body doesn't know how much milk your baby needs so you start off with more than you need. Then your body adjusts to the needs of your baby and you have the exact right amount.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months