Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Baby has diarrhea

Exclamation Help! Baby has diarrhea

My baby has had diarrhea for two weeks. At first I thought it was the formula I was giving her once a day, so I stopped giving it to her a week ago and she still has bad diarrhea. She almost always poops only once a day and when she does its a large amount and its very watery and bright yellow. I also thought if its not the formula then could it be the birth control pills I started taking. The doctor said they were safe for a breastfeeding mother but I don’t know. As for what I eat, I haven’t been eating anything that’s out of the ordinary.
    What could it be?

Default Re: Help! Baby has diarrhea

hello,
    at the beginning i thought that my daughter had diarhea too. if you bf her the poo are supposed to be watery and yello. on the contrary with the formula are more thick more solid. but perhaps he's allergic to sthing you've eaten. perhaps milk or dairy,perhpsa your ped or LLL in your area could see the poos and tell you more
    goodluck

Hi, can you provide any information on how old your lo is and what his/her poos were like prior to this change of the last 2 weeks. Also is baby now exclusively breastfed and was he/she taking formula 2 weeks prior? The poos sound like very normal breasfeed poos, but it is hard to tell without additional info. Either I or someone else will get back to you, but 1 poo a day does not sound like anything to worry too much about if even if it is diarrhea and if your baby continues to feed as normal and has adequate wet diapers then you're doing ok.

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...erns.html#poop

sounds normal you could ask your doctor what he thinks.
    heres some links to look at

this one has pictures of normal poop.
    http://www.lactnews.com/the_diaper_images.html

It sounds like normal breastfeeding poo to me. When you nurse, the poos are supposed to be a bit watery and very yellow, perhaps a little "seedy"- this is a sign that baby's getting enough fatty milk.

But if it still doesn't seem right to you, I suggest getting a professional opinion. Good luck!

Diarrhea is going to look like someone poured apple juice into her diaper, with maybe a few flecks of solid matter. Is that what you are seeing? And how old is your baby?

If you can give us some more information, we'll try to help you figure this out.

--Rebecca

[QUOTE=International Mom;57065]Hi, can you provide any information on how old your lo is and what his/her poos were like prior to this change of the last 2 weeks. Also is baby now exclusively breastfed and was he/she taking formula 2 weeks prior? The poos sound like very normal breasfeed poos, but it is hard to tell without additional info. QUOTE]

My lo is 9 weeks old and her poo used to be more seedy like. I breasfed her exclusivly for her first 6 weeks then started giving her formula once a day because I felt I didnt have enough milk (however, and Im SO happy about this, now I have enough milk! My breasts are always full of milk so I dont give her formula anymore. Might have been the herbs : )

I read the article about normal poo and it seems like she might not have diarrhea because she only poos once a day instead of frequently and the poo doesnt smell too bad, only a slight smell. Its just that her poo used to be more seedy like and now its liquid.

Sounds quite normal. So glad you are feeling better about your milk supply. Happy breastfeeding. Leela's mom

Yeah, sounds normal. My LO had the runs when he was about 3 1/2 months old (ended up having to hospitalize the poor guy cause we couldn't keep him hydrated) and he had on average 13 of those stinky apple juice poos a day.

My mother-on-law insists its the runs because the poo is way to watery. I know poo is supposed to be watery but sometimes its super watery. I have an appt until Novemebr for the ped because shes booked until then. Dont know what I should do to make sure shes OK.