Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Success w/Avent hand pump

Question Success w/Avent hand pump

I returned back to work started out nursing at lunch and one pump session on either side of my lunch break. I stopped nursing at lunch approx 3 weeks ago I just added another pump session in at lunch due to busy times at work. My DD is now 3months and it seems as if my milk volume is fluctuating one day I can pump 4-6oz a session others I am lucky to get 2-4oz. Has anyone been successful with continuing to use a hand pump? I was out on bed rest for an extended time frame so we are re-cooping financially and dont have 300$ to dish out right now for an eletric pump. Help !!any advice ?

Default Re: Success w/Avent hand pump

Actually, I have recently purchased an Avent manual pump and have had great results with it. I have been breast feeding our daughter for 5 months. I used 3 different pumps, before purchasing the Avent pump. I finally found one that I really liked. Unfortunately, I have to send it out for service because it just stopped working. In the meantime, I purchased the Avent pump and have been able to express my milk very quickly and I seem to get a more consistent amount. I was lucky if I got 2-3 oz out of each breast with the other pump. Now, I am consistently getting 3-4 and early in the morning I can get 5-6 from each. I am very happy with it, I am not even concerned with sending the other pump out.

I would say that you just have to find the one that is right for you.

I only used the Avent manual pump for my ds2. I found it wonderful but did need to take 20 minutes. On ds3 I bought the Avent Isis IQ duo only because it was quicker, 10 minutes but really, the yield was about the same. My hand got sorer with the manual pump though!

Hi and welcome! You're doing a great job working to meet your baby's needs by pumping when you are separated. It is not uncommon to see a variation in production from day to day, even breast to breast or pumping session to pumping session. A few points if you don't already know or haven't already considered them:
    - Milk supply is naturally at its highest point earlier in the day. Morning pumping sessions will likely be the most productive. Some moms find they can pump on one side while baby nurses on the other before they leave for work, this can be a quick way to sneak in a pumping session that doesn't take away from your workday.
    - Many moms find that when pumping 5 days in a row (M-F) their milk supply starts to taper by the end of the week. The pump is not as effective as the baby at removing milk or sending the signal to your body to make more. If you nurse on demand on the weekends and in the evenings, your body generally rebound.
    - Double pumping is recommended when you are pumping in place of a feeding or when separated from baby for more than a few hours. It's because the act of double pumping causes more prolactin, the milk-making hormone, to be released which is a stronger signal to your body to make more milk. Some moms have found that they can double pump using manual pumps by having two, or by hand expressing. I'll admit, it's a bit of a logistical challenge, but it might be worth considering if a double electric pump is out of the question.
    - Some mothers have found that it is more cost-effective to rent a hospital-grade pump, these pumps are the best at protecting and maintaining milk supply. When you calculate costs of rental, be sure to consider what it might cost to purchase food for your baby that he/she gets for free via breastfeeding!

I hope these are helpful. Have you seen the LLL.org website links for working and pumping? If not you might want to head there. Click the LLL navbar at the top, go to breastfeeding information, then to FAQ, and look at the working ones. Some other great information cna be found there.

Best wishes and best of luck -
    Warmly,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL