Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eek - colonoscopy drugs and nursing

Default eek - colonoscopy drugs and nursing

so...i have to go in for a colonoscopy this week i will be given Versed, Fentanyl, and Propofol. Does anyone know if it will be okay to nurse after the procedure? i asked the doc and they said it should be okay and i'm waiting to hear back from the pediatrician, just to be sure. i figured it wouldn't hurt to check with you ladies, and see if anyone has had experience with this and what you did. i have a freezer full of milk, so it's not a problem if i shouldn't/can't nurse for 12-24hrs or something. should i pump & dump?
    FTM to Cypress Levon born all natural 10/5/09

Happily
    and while I work

Default Re: eek - colonoscopy drugs and nursing

I have had several colonoscopies while nursing, and more while not. I was fine as soon as I was "awake" again (not that you're unconscious, but sedated, KWIM?), and nursed immediately, no pumping and dumping. One of the benefits of Fentanyl over Demerol (which is what they used to use with Versed) is that it wears off really quickly.

Good luck!

I looked this up for someone a couple weeks ago because they were having the same drugs for oral surgery....let me see if I can find the post. But if I remember correctly, the one that was iffy was the fentanyl. brb....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

here is the thread. All the drug info is listed in the posts.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...t=oral+surgery
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

you'll be fine, absolutely fine, lots of us have done it.... no nursing precautions whatsoever... s
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07