Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question for a friend whose having trouble...

Default Question for a friend whose having trouble...

We're visiting my mom and she runs a home daycare. One of the babies is 4 1/2 months old (been with my mom since 8 wks old) and her mom is breastfeeding her and bringing pumped milk in bottles for the baby when my mom has her (5 days a week). But her mom is trying to figure out what's going on so I thought I'd see if any of you ladies have any ideas.

This past Monday and Wednesday nights mom fed baby some rice cereal. On Wednesday when she was here she drank her bottles of breastmilk great. On Thursday and Friday it was a struggle to get any milk into her. She would cry, arch her back, kick, spit milk out. She was a little spitty for her - apparently she never spits up but she did 2 little spit-ups on Thursday and Friday. My mom suggested holding off on cereal as she's still young and she wondered if it's bothering her. She's normally a very happy baby, but was fussier the end of last week. She is very stiff, like we can't place her in a sitting position with us on the floor and just support her to play, she just doesn't bend.

Baby's mom called today because it's been a struggle to feed the baby this weekend. She doesn't want to take bottles and sometimes fights nursing, but will do that better than a bottle. She had a low fever on Saturday for a few hours and a little gooky nose. Her parents took her to the Dr's and he said her ears are fine, she's not teething, and he doesn't feel like she really has a cold, just a little yucky nose. She's been fussy this weekend and arching her back a lot during feeding. She's had thrush and was getting nystatin after every feeding but the Dr said today that the thrush is gone. he doesn't feel the rice cereal would cause her to be so cranky and fighting eating, but said not to give it to her for now while she figures this out.

The baby's mom is pretty stressed and said she didn't sleep much this weekend because the baby has been so cranky and feeding has been a struggle. She asked if I had any ideas since I've been nursing my kids for so long. But I don't really know a whole lot about bottle feeding as we haven't done much of that. So I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas. I was wondering about reflux when I fed her a bottle last week, but her mom says she doesn't arch her back at all when nursing, just bottles. We've all tried a bottle with a different nipple, waiting longer between feedings, etc and nothing helped.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Question for a friend whose having trouble...

My first thought is maybe her tummy isn't ready for the cereal. Maybe she can stop giving it. Did these problems start as soon as she introduced it? I know some people may think this is crazy, but I did give my DD cereal one time around 4 months because the dr. told me I could and after I looked into it I decided to wait until later on, when I ended up doing BLS and forgoing the cereal anyway. So anyway. DD had cereal maybe 5 times in her life and I will swear to you that it didn't agree with her She was cranky, fussy, spitty uppy, etc. So I never gave it to her again.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

If it's iron fortified that could be bothering her tummy. Some LOs have a hard time with it. I would quit the cereal if I were her.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Thanks ladies. She did quit the cereal, sorry I should have mentioned that. She hasn't had any since last Wednesday night.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

maybe she was just sick... It's hard when they cann't tell us whats going on...
    Does she have a sore in her mouth from the thrush?
    sometimes that can cause them to be extra fussy if it hurts to nurse or drink a bottle