Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamins

Default Vitamins

So at our 2 week apt. (she is now 5 weeks) my pedi told me he recommends all his BF babies take Vit D. To be fair we do live in Oregon, not much sun. So I didn't think anything of it and went and picked it up. He gave me two choices both go straight to baby (two choices were Vit. d or 3-in-one). The only one the pharm. had was a three-in-one Vitamin vs. strict Vitamin D . The 3 are D,C,A. Anyhow after I got it home I started thinking more and more about it. I never have given her the Vit drops yet.

From what I read/learned BreastMilk provides all the nutrition a baby needs. Also I thought that if there was a concern for vitamin deficiency then mom would take the extra vitamins (vs. straight to baby).

I guess my question is how many of you give/gave your new babies extra vitamins? Is this common to do or a misconception? (there is no reason my baby would need the D, just his typical recommendation).
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Default Re: Vitamins

The latest info is that most moms are Vit D deficient. So baby won't het enough. So AAP recommends supplementing baby. LLLI backs this position - i will come back with link.

Mom can be tested to see if she is Vit D deficient or not.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Vit. D drops

I live in the South and am doing the D drops for my 3 MO. I use the 400IU dose and just drop it on my nipple before he nurses once a day.

They are important!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We've been giving our 5-month-old DD vitamin D drops since she was 2 months. It is recommended by our pediatrician and seems to be recommended in every book I've read, especially for babies that live in areas with little sunshine like ours (we're in WA).

I like the idea of dropping on the nipple.

Anyone heard of the Vit A/C. Not sure why they are in there with the D.

Maybe I will see if I can get Vit D tested at 6 week apt.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I just wanted to say that i've only ever given T vitamin drops (the 3 in one kind that you talked about, actually) a handful of times. In my opinion, for us, they are not necessary. We live in FL. I take prenatal vits with an additonal dose of Vit D. I drink milk almost every day. We go outside pretty regularly. I have never been vit deficient. Whether I am correct in not giving the drops, I do not know. I suppose i'll find out at his 9 month check up...he gets blood tested to see his levels. But honestly i'm not worried.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

One thing about Vitamin D and foods, especially milk. Vitamin D is not naturally occurring in that many foods, especially a lot of foods that we eat very often. The Vitamin D that is added to milk and fortified in other foods is synthesized Vitamin D2, which is 500x harder for your body to absorb than naturally occurring (in fish or produced by the sun) Vitamin D3.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?