Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frustrated and crying...

Default frustrated and crying...

I posted a few weeks ago about my son and his vomiting...it seems to have gotten worse now...he can't lay down at all...at night he eats, I burp him then I try to lay down with him and no matter how much of an incline he is on, 5 minutes later he is gassy, fussy and then he pukes...if I wait to lay him down until an hour after he eats..it's still the same..no matter what he can't lay down at all and wakes often in a fussy gassy mood. He was sleeping on his stomache laying on my chest for a while, but even that isn't helping anymore. I give him gripe water and ovol, to help but it doesn't do anything. At two weeks old the Dr. said it was probably my OALD and the fact that he was wanting to eat all the time...
    The thing is that he pukes and then he wants more after...I still feed him after because he is hungry but then the cycle starts again...I have tried everything!!!
    I block feed him, I put him on an incline when he lays down, I gave him a soother (which he doesn't like) to keep his sucking motion going so that his stomache muscles will keep the food down, I feed him in a sitting up position...
    But he is gaining weight well and he isn't dehydrated which some people say that unless those two are factors there is nothing the doctors will do
    To be honest I am almost ready to give him formula so that I can get more than two hours of sleep....any suggestions would be great thanks!
    SAHM to:

Jamey Sweetpea 5years old
    Michael Davy 2 years old
    Angel baby-09/11
    And Pregnant with #3! EDD OCT 12th

Married my high school sweetheart 09/29/07

Default Re: frustrated and crying...

That sounds like reflux, more than a breastfeeding thing. I bet he would do it with formula, too, mama.

Did the doctor mention reflux at all?

It is super exhausting! I'm sorry your sweet little baby is having such a hard time!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

with pp. The puking sounds like reflux.

My lo was also really gassy. I found that working his gas out before he got stiff and unhappy worked really well. My doctor said that pretty much for the first 3 months their systems are just so immature and excess gas is so common. Unfortunately it is also painful So after each meal, before naps, after naps (basically all the time) when baby was happy, we bicycled his legs, criss crossed his legs, knees to chest and repeat. We also layed him belly down on warm compresses and took lots of warm baths with him. When we got a good routine going we would work out so much gas it was astounding. Literally just working his knees would produce 15 + toots in a row.

When baby is in the throws of gas pain though we would use the Superman hold. It's the cradle hold but belly down. Dr. Sears has a lot of tips about helping fussy/gassy/colicky baby. We would also use the colic hold. These take pressure off babu's tummy and encourage the gas to move on out. We also wore him in the kangaroo hold and hug hold in the Moby. Hope some of this helps a little. Good luck mama! I saw major improvement in the gas issues when our lo started kicking his own legs and became more active.
    ETA: I also found later that milk, chocolate and caffiene where the culprits for my baby's gas and cut them out of my diet. Even now if I slip and eat some chocolate we have a bad night iykwim.
    Last edited by @llli*zplum; March 22nd, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Yeah the Dr. said it sounded like Reflux, and he told me to try to get my milk to come out slower as well and feed him upright...and I know that switching to formula would probably make it worse it's just really tough right now to deal with my three year old and the baby on little sleep so it's tempting...I'm just up all night with a crying baby and it makes me sad to know that I am BF'ing and normally babies aren't like that with BF'ing...
    Also the other week my mother just informed me that I was allergic to Cow's Milk as a baby, so I've stopped drinking milk and eating things with milk in them to help...but I haven't seen a difference and it's been almost two weeks...
    SAHM to:

Jamey Sweetpea 5years old
    Michael Davy 2 years old
    Angel baby-09/11
    And Pregnant with #3! EDD OCT 12th

Married my high school sweetheart 09/29/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrs.rantucci View Post
    Yeah the Dr. said it sounded like Reflux, and he told me to try to get my milk to come out slower as well and feed him upright...and I know that switching to formula would probably make it worse it's just really tough right now to deal with my three year old and the baby on little sleep so it's tempting...I'm just up all night with a crying baby and it makes me sad to know that I am BF'ing and normally babies aren't like that with BF'ing...
    Also the other week my mother just informed me that I was allergic to Cow's Milk as a baby, so I've stopped drinking milk and eating things with milk in them to help...but I haven't seen a difference and it's been almost two weeks...
    Try to get your milk to come out slower?

I tried all the at-home recommendations to treat my son's reflux, and they didn't help. I ended up putting him on medication (Prilosec, if I recall, but it's been a while), and that first night was an amazing difference! I really didn't want to medicate him, but I am glad I finally did it. It made him so much more comfortable!

And mine was allergic to cow's milk, too. It took about a month or so for the elimination to really make a big difference. And dairy hides in all sorts of things - including some medicines and vitamins and supplements. Have you gotten all of it out of your diet?

Hang in there!!!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Hugs mama, sounds like reflux...we have had ours on prevacid for a long time now. If we try to stop it, it comes back (hiccuping, coughing, crying).
    Even though your LO is gaining well, if he is miserable and uncomfortable, I would still consider treatment. I told my Doctor that he is in pain, and needs treatment
    Also, dairy can take a LONG time to get out of your system. I think they say to give it a good 3 weeks. Those milk proteins are slow and difficult to digest.
    Hang in there!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I agree with the other mamas. It definitely sounds like reflux. My youngest son had horrible reflux and your post described exactly what he was like. Make an appointment with your pediatrician and get him on a medicine to help with the reflux. My son was on Zantac and that seemed to help, but there are several medications available. You and your pediatrician will be able to figure out which one will be best for your little guy.

Hang in there mama. I got desperate one night and wanted to give him formula because he kept puking and I felt like he was getting frustrated because he wasn't able to keep anything down, but the reality is that breastmilk is the gentlest thing that you can give your baby. Formula is going to be harsh on his system even if you go with one of the types that are supposed to be for babies with reflux or whatever else they claim. It will get better.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (14 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (6 years old...nursed for over 2 years)
    DS3 (our newest addition in May 2015!)