Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk turning yellow?

Default milk turning yellow?

Dear pumping mamas out there - I havre been pumpink milk for a copuple of weeks now and storing it in my freezer. I have recently discovered though that milk in some of the bags turned yellow while in others stayed white. Is that natural? I thought that maybe that was hind milk but now I am not sure. Did this happen to anyone? thanks for your replies.

Default Re: milk turning yellow?

Well I haven't seen yours of course but mine was always varying shades of white, cream, yellow and even greenish or blueish. When you thaw it, does it smell ok? I think it seems perfectly normal.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Well I haven't seen yours of course but mine was always varying shades of white, cream, yellow and even greenish or blueish. When you thaw it, does it smell ok? I think it seems perfectly normal.

As long as it smells and tastes okay, it's fine. My milk was always a wide array of colors as well.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

thanks - I did not realise that! I have not thawed my milk yet. Will try in a couple of days. Best wishes to you all and thanks for your replies.

Do you take vitamins? That can change the coloring. It could have to do with the timing of your vitamins if you take them.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

It could also be transition milk depending upon how old your baby is. Very much liquid gold.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I had one bottle that did it as well. Usually they are more natural colors, but this one was bright yellow. Baby drank it fine, so I probably wouldn't worry about it.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

It is totally normal for frozen BM to be yellow-ish, as the pp's have said. I think all my frozen BM is yellow-ish in it's frozen state, but once I thaw it, it goes back to being white.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My breastmilk was yellow for the first few weeks... now it's white. I agree with PP, I wouldn't worry as long as it smells fine and your LO drinks it!

How old is your LO?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

There was another mom at my daycare who was bringing EBM for her baby, but stopped because she "didn't like the way it looked" in the bottles - despite the teacher (who breastfed all three of her sons) reassuring her multiple times that it was completely normal for it to separate and turn all kind of weird colors. I'm pretty sure she (the mom) isn't breastfeeding at all anymore.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos