Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could he be ready for solids 1 month prior?

Default Re: could he be ready for solids 1 month prior?

At that age we gave baby an empty bowl and spoon to play with at meals. Kept him happy "eating" like everyone else.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    At that age we gave baby an empty bowl and spoon to play with at meals. Kept him happy "eating" like everyone else.
    Thats a good idea. I'll have to do that whenever we eat
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Like others have said, introducing solids is such an individual thing. Some are ready early, some late. I think the important thing is to make sure you aren't forcing it on them too early. We gave DD mashed banana at 5 mos (she had met all the developmental milestones), but until about 6 1/2 months she was only having a small bit of solids each day. She didn't start actually getting significant calories (like, more than 20 a day) until 7 months or so.

As far as the tongue thrust reflex you asked about, you'll know right away if your LO still has it. When you put that first bite of food in his mouth, he'll either push it out of his mouth with his tongue (that's the reflex) or give you a goofy look and swallow it.

DH and I were (and continue to be) so excited to introduce DD to the wonderful world of food. DH and I both love to cook, and over fresh, well-prepared meals. We want to set her up for a healthy relationship with food later in life. It's more that just ingesting calories to us, it's entertainment and a real pleasure. It can be such a wonderful part of life, KWIM?

Wow, now that I've gone off on a mile-long tangent, all I really wanted to say is trust your gut, Mama. You'll know when he's ready.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).