Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could he be ready for solids 1 month prior?

Default could he be ready for solids 1 month prior?

T will be 5 months next Monday so he's a bit early in my book to start solids, but he seems to think otherwise
    He is super interested whenever DH or I eat, and he watched the food go from the plate into your mouth, then stares at you as you chew.
    He also leans forward and tries to grab food off the plate. He did that today when i ate breakfast (eggs and bacon) so I was like and had to eat awkwardly. (I would have put him down but he would have gotten really cranky)

After i finished eating, he got fussy and is currently nursing. yet i just nursed him maybe 20 min before so i could make myself breakfast.

Yesterday he tried to grab a chip DH was eating too.

Could he be ready now for solids even though hes not 6 months?
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Default Re: could he be ready for solids 1 month prior?

heres a good link with some reasons you might want to delay...

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

I started my LO with solids when he was 5 1/2 months...mostly because DH wanted to because of what the pedi said :rolleyes

I think you do what you think is right for your baby. I do like the link that andreaohio posted, though. But also remember that every baby is different. I mean, even if your baby is showing outward signs of being interested in the food doesn't mean he's really ready to take it on...his belly might not be ready...he might still have the tongue thrust reflex...or maybe he's just plain curious. It doesn't necessarily mean he wants to eat the food...but then again, it might. I know for my T it did...so you never know. Maybe try letting him knaw on something from your plate? (something safe, obviously...like a dinner roll or something)?

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

DD is doing that too! She's almost 5 months also. I'm still waiting for the 6 month mark and to meet all the developmental milestones.
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)

I like this link too

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr01p64solids.html
    about the Cultural Aspects of Starting Solids

most of the stuff we read about solids is writting by people that want your baby to eat jars and jars of their foods.

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

DS1 was started on cereal and purees at just after 5 months and caught on real quick. He was self-feeding cheerios by 6 months. Developmentally, he was just ready all-around.

With DS2 we started giving him very small amounts of cereal to help with his reflux, but delayed everything else until at least 6 months. Even now at 7 months, though, he still has a bit of the tongue-thrust still, and rarely is able to manage self-feeding.

Every baby is different. And showing interest in what you're eating is only one sign of readiness and is not necessarily enough to indicate that they really are ready to begin solid foods, kwim?
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

One IBCLC MD I know (and there aren't many of them in this world) shared that new research shows that the lowest risk for allergies occurs when solids are introduced somewhere between 4-6 months. I know that is not the popular advice around here (wait till 6 mos) but I don't know why it would hurt to start a few weeks earlier. We started at 4 mos due to low supply issues but she didn't start eating too much until 5.5 months and still really doesn't eat that much at 8 mos.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I think it's best to pay attention to the baby and not the calendar. The best time to start solids is when your baby meets all the signs of readiness.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    * Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My LO was the same, I waited until he was 5 1/2 months, he is 6 months and 1 wk and doing good. Althought he prefers eating out of my plate (i let him have safe stuff only) than the home made pureed food i give him . so far his good and we skipped the cereal altogether
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Thanks for the advice, info, and links

I dont plan to start solids until he is 6 months (or later). I thought i had written that :/

Based on the list from norasmommy, hes not ready. He sits up very well with very little support, but has yet to sit up by himself.
    I dont know about the tongue thrust. How do you know?
    He does chew on his toys and my arms and fingers (and anything else he can get a hold of)
    No pincher grasp but he is progressing very nicely to it (my arm knows all about that )

I guess with all the info out there im just a bit overwhelmed. I know some people that started solids at 11 weeks and others that waited, and others that did it at other various times. And since T is my first i dont know what to do
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011