Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unwanted family advice?!?!

Default Unwanted family advice?!?!

Please give me your opinions. I was telling my mother and grandmother today about how I have just started DS (6 mos) on solids (BLW). They didn't really take issue with that, however when I did explain he has been waking 5-6 times at night to nurse (for comfort or milk not sure). They told me I need to give him rice cereal before bed to help him sleep. I told them spoon-feeding goes against the purpose of BLW, and that I wasn't sure I wanted to artificially pad his tummy with cereal just to make him sleep (even though I would definitely love if he slept for longer stretches). So I am wondering of your experiences/advice. Is their advice sound, and I am writing them off too quickly or does my POV make sense? Thanks.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .

Default Re: Unwanted family advice?!?!

Your point-of-view definitely makes sense! My baby is 10 months old and I honestly have no idea how often she wakes at night to nurse because we cosleep, but I'm guessing it's at least 2 to 3 times. I nurse her on demand because I want my supply to everything she needs it to be during this first year, as well as beyond. If your baby wakes up that much to nurse, whether for comfort or food, it's because baby needs it. As long as you're happy with your arrangement, keep on!

People love to be involved and love to give well-intentioned advice, but you need to follow your heart and listen to your baby. I've perfected nodding politely and smiling when I have no intentions of taking someone's advice (that I didn't ask for anyway).
    First-time momma to Baby Girl M, born 5.22.09

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

It's not true about rice cereal making babies sleep longer. It's a myth. And yes, the spoon feeding is against BLW. It's normal for babies to wake up at night. My DD is 22 months and still wakes a few times. I mostly only tell people that "she sleeps just fine" to avoid their comments.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    : I mostly only tell people that "she sleeps just fine" to avoid their comments.
    LOL When people ask me how my LO sleeps, I say something like, "She's great! I can't complain." Heh...it's no lie.
    First-time momma to Baby Girl M, born 5.22.09

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Follow your motherly instincts! They are always right!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    It's not true about rice cereal making babies sleep longer. It's a myth. And yes, the spoon feeding is against BLW. It's normal for babies to wake up at night. My DD is 22 months and still wakes a few times. I mostly only tell people that "she sleeps just fine" to avoid their comments.
    I like that. I didn't think about telling them he sleeps fine to avoid their comments. Sometimes I feel like I am "on guard" with my mother (and her criticisms), having to defend a lot of my choices with my son. I just wanted to make sure I don't also disregard her advice if there is validity to it. Thanks all for confirming my convictions.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apple.baby View Post
    LOL When people ask me how my LO sleeps, I say something like, "She's great! I can't complain." Heh...it's no lie.
    Another one I've heard is "He/She sleeps like a baby!" They'll take it as sleeping soundly all night. While you know that babies are supposed to wake up
    Proud mom of 2:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*booknavel View Post
    I like that. I didn't think about telling them he sleeps fine to avoid their comments. Sometimes I feel like I am "on guard" with my mother (and her criticisms), having to defend a lot of my choices with my son. I just wanted to make sure I don't also disregard her advice if there is validity to it. Thanks all for confirming my convictions.
    I know what you mean. I have to do it all the time and it gets tiring, so now, I'm mostly avoidant because I realize I'm not going to change anyone's ideas or opinions. Not saying everyone is like that, just the people I deal with - and not on everything, just somethings.
    Proud mom of 2:

i get the same thing from my in law's every.single.time i visit. (DD is barely 5 mos old) "Why haven't you started her on cereal? You should give it to her to make her sleep all night." Yada yada. I have explained over and over that I'm going to do BLW but they keep on. It's why we hardly ever visit.

Trust your instincts mamma. I mean why can't family just enjoy the baby and leave the parenting and well-being to mom and dad??
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)

pp
    I too have mom and in-laws trying to tell me how i should raise my child, including how to feed (as none of them BF) my LO is 6 months and we've decided to skip cereal. we so i think he wakes up 2 or 3 times night. it doesn't bother me as i work outside of home and need to keep my supply going, as far as my DH, he snores the night away and thinks baby sleeps ALL night which he is happy to relate to the family
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas