Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canned tuna & strawberries (not together!)

Default canned tuna & strawberries (not together!)

Has anyone given their LO canned tuna? I've read mixed things and wasn't sure if it was ok. She's 1yr old. We've had no reaction to her eating salmon, she loves it, but wasn't sure about tuna.

Also, now that she's 1yr it seems there's a whole list of things she can have now (egg whites, milk, berries, etc.) but I'm leery of such drastic changes, I'm going to take it slow. For example strawberries, have most mamas of 1yr old given their LOs strawberries?

Default Re: canned tuna & strawberries (not together!)

We don't eat fish, so I can't help with that question. But my LO has had strawberries since around 1 year or so. It's good you are going to take it slow, as you still should. You don't want to go introducing all the potential allergins at once JIC she ends up being allergic to somthing you wouldn't be able to tell what it was. Sounds like your doing great and don't really need to "change" anything. I'd still follow the rules about waiting X amount of days inbetween too.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I have never done canned tuna, just regular tuna filets, but I would assume that it would be okay if she has had other types of fish before.

Strawberries are definitely okay, but I would give them in very small amounts. My youngest son can only have one or two or else his poor butt turns bright red.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

If you do give canned tuna, try to find a brand that is only fish... Often the fish is in a salty broth, too much salt.

I gave strawberries "early", but I have been following the amended allergen advice (posted further down in this subforum as well, if I have time I'll edit with a link to the article) that states delaying allergenic foods does not help and may actually harm. If I ate it while breastfeeding, I have no problems with giving it to my child as she was exposed to it already.. I still watch for reactions for skin sensitivities, but we're doing great.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

My LO is almost 1 and I introduced strawberries about a week ago and he loves them (which is good cause they're so healthy ) If you haven't given you LO anything new in the past 3 or 4 days you could probably try some strawberries. Good luck!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I've given both and Daisy loves tuna especially with pasta. She can't get enough of strawberries but I go easy on offering them because they are quite acidic.

I have read that girls should only have two portions of oily fish per week becasue there is a link to infertility later on in life. It does not affect boys. That is the only rule I follow. Oh and like a pp mentioned I buy the type that is in springwater and dolphin friendly, of course.

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

I introduced strawberries at 8 months without problems. With the tuna, I'd be worried about the mercury content in the fish, and wouldn't feed it frequently to a little one.

It's good that people are buying dolphin safe tuna, but consider getting line caught tuna instead. The dolphin safe fishing uses a giant net that traps sea turtles, sharks, and other wild life. Line caught just catches the tuna, independent of other critters. It's much better for the environment.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

I found this regarding introducing your baby to fish. I am always concerned about mercury in tuna, so I never buy it. We eat canned salmon instead and use it the same way we would canned tuna. Please, if I'm being overly cautious, someone tell me!! I do like tuna but ever since being not able to eat it while pregnant, I hesitate eating it at all now!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    I found this regarding introducing your baby to fish. I am always concerned about mercury in tuna, so I never buy it. We eat canned salmon instead and use it the same way we would canned tuna. Please, if I'm being overly cautious, someone tell me!! I do like tuna but ever since being not able to eat it while pregnant, I hesitate eating it at all now!
    I think salmon has mercury in it, too...wild caught salmon, not farm raised.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I've been giving Strawberries to my DD for a month now... she loves them... I put them in the fridge, cut off the top and give her a bigger whole one. She loves it and will mash it with her gums. I think she also likes that there cold, probably feels nice while she's eating it
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz