Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PUMPING and HURTING BAD!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Default PUMPING and HURTING BAD!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Im exclusively pumping and my supply is dropped tremendously the past few days! I discovered a crack or something at the base of my nipple and it is extremely painful to pump on that breast. Ive thought about stopping pumping on that side but if I go without pumping that side (even on the LOWEST possible setting) I get lumps! I really dont want to stop pumping to give my son the best but...... It hurts soooo bad and I dont know what to do as this is my first time to try this pumping venture. Any advise or suggestions would be soooo great right now. Been using Lansinoh before every pumping session because that makes it not AS painful but its still pretty excruciating! PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me youve been there and HELP! Im soooo close to just giving up......

Default Re: PUMPING and HURTING BAD!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

How old is your baby? Is there any way that you can get him to the breast instead of pumping?
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

mama. So sorry you're in pain. Can you vary the suction? Does that help? Also, after each session, can you let your nipple airdry with some breastmilk on the cracks? That was what worked for me with DD1 and the pump. What kind of pump are you using?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    mama. So sorry you're in pain. Can you vary the suction? Does that help? Also, after each session, can you let your nipple airdry with some breastmilk on the cracks? That was what worked for me with DD1 and the pump. What kind of pump are you using?
    I have just been using the lowest setting. I only have a cheap evenflo I think is what it is. I got it at wal-mart. Did good at first. He is almost 4 weeks old. Ive tried and tried and tried to get him to take to the breast but he just is NOT having it. I tried the milk but it seems the lansinoh works better. but then again, the lansinoh keeps my nipple so moist that the milk cant get to it probably....... but it hurts to bad to even wipe it off.

I'm sorry that you are in so much pain right now. My only other thought is that the flanges may not be the correct size.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommytoac View Post
    How old is your baby? Is there any way that you can get him to the breast instead of pumping?
    Ive tried and tried to get him to take to the breast but he just wont take. He gets REALLY aggravated and screams. he had tried to suck ONE TIME. he pulled maybe twice off it and then let go and started screaming again. I really wish he would have took though because its soooo stressful and all trying to pump and feed him and all at the same time......i may talk to the lactation consulant at his clinic tomorrow if they will let me.....got to take him for a check up because he has that infant acne bad and its seems really inflamed to me.

Sounds like the flange/shield doesn't fit you properly. Does your nipple rub against the side when you're pumping? The nipple should have space all around it while the pump is working?

Here's a picture of how it should look: http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx

I don't know if you can get alternate flange sizes for the pump you have. If you have to stay with that pump, you may look at Pumpin Pals shields, they have alternate size shields that kind of twist into your existing flange. I've noticed that they're more comfortable but slightly less effective at removing milk.

I'd definitely talk with the lactation consultant.

If you're exclusively pumping, you should look into a hospital-grade rental, the kind you can buy retail are really designed for working moms and occasional pumpers who also breastfeed. In the long run, it will be hard to maintain your supply by just pumping with an off-the-shelf pump.

If you can't rent, although Medela is a very common and popular pump, the Ameda Purely Yours is less expensive and it's a closed system, meaning that milk can never enter the pump or tubing, it goes straight from the flange into the bottle. I think Lansinoh may also have a closed system pump that's cheaper. Also, if you were to consider buying a used pump, you would only want to buy a closed system type, where there's no risk that another woman's milk could contaminate yours. You can buy just the pump and get all new of the equipment that would contact your milk, if you were to go that route.

But if you're going to see a lactation consultant, I'd try to get baby back to the breast. Baby could be screaming for a number of reasons - it would be helpful to have a LLL leader or lactation consultant observe the behavior to see if she could pinpoint the issue. It could be that he's developed a bottle preference/nipple confusion (which can often be remedied slowly), or that your milk lets down so forcefully so that he has trouble handling it (which can also be addressed). A lactation consultant, LLL leader, and/or the ladies here would love to help.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I had something very similar - it got so bad I saw blood in the milk and FREAKED OUT. I called the lactation consultant in tears. But... it all worked out completely fine. Here's what was going on for me:

* It was totally an issue of the flange not fitting properly. I ordered some new ones with no edge from pumpinpal.com (PM me if you can't find them) that really helped.
    * In the meantime, I switched to using my pump on the side that was ok while manually expressing on the other side. A pain to do, but it let me get the milk out and keep up my supply while letting the crack heal. Thankfully, since it's a very high-blood-flow area, it heals really really fast. Just be sure to google how to manually express, because there are good and bad ways to do it!

I realize I'm a few days late on this - I hope things have already started to improve. PM me if there's anything more I can do!

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time! My son is now 7 months and I have always pumped. We could never get him to latch on correctly. For the first couple of months it was the hardest b/c it was tender and sometimes I would get knots, but would work and massage them out. My nipples would also get sore and kinda dry. I would put the lansinoh cream on after pumping, not before and that helped. Since I knew we wanted to breastfeed and I'd eventually go back to work we bought a more expensive pump than the ones they sell at walmart (at least our local Walmarts). We didn't want to pay a fortune so I did a bunch of research online reading reviews and ratings. I found the best one for the money to be the pump produced by Lansinoh (double electric pump) which runs on AC or battery. It had better reviews than the medela brand and is cheaper. It retails for $160, but using a coupon I got it for $135 at BabiesRUs. It's a lot of money, but just think about how much you'd end up spending on formula after 2 - 3 months. It'll save money after a few months. At least for my shape, the cones work fine as long as I have them positioned correctly. And after using the pump at least 6 times a day for 7 months it's still working just great.

Anyway, try pumping after a nice hot shower, or massage with hot towels before you pump. That helped me at the begining until my breast got regulated. Use the lansinoh cream afterward, not before, and make sure your nipples are in the cones straight, not sideways.

If you still want to try to get your baby to take the breast you can try to get your milk flowing a bit first by pumping then offer it to your baby, that way he/she maybe won't get frustrated b/c they can't get anything out at first. But after a month of bottles it's most likely they'll get frustrated.

Hope I could help at least a little.

During my first month of pumping I had a lot of pain. I got cracks and bleed. I would cry everytime I turned the pump on. I just used the lansinoh, which helped a lot. I put that on after pumping, which may help with you because the oil will be able to go into your skin and by the time you need to pump again your milk may be able to come out better. When I had blood, I would stop pumping and put pressure on it then pump blood free. I would get a better pump because if you really want to pump for your son, you want something that will make things easier for you. I use a pump n style, which the WIC office gave to me. I dont know if you can get WIC, but if you can, they will lend you a pump then give you one free of charge.

Pumping is hard work but keep it up. I have pumped from birth and I have been there. I am very proud of what I do for my baby girl, which you should be too. I hope it gets better for you. Best of luck.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!