Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hindmilk issues

Default Hindmilk issues

My problem is i have little to no hindmilk.. Will this start to create issues for my LO? Has anyone else had this problem? I have no idea if there is anything i can do to change it, or if this will harm my daughter in some way. Just trying to do what is best for my girl. TIA

Default Re: Hindmilk issues

I had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I went to the forum about supply issues and learned to fix the problem by doing two feeds per breast to regulate my supply (I'm still doing this). Now my LO has healthy yellow poops.

I can't tell you, though, how to add pumping to the mix. I have delayed pumping for fear that it will bring back my FM/HM problems. The few times I have pumped, I've produced very thin milk.

Sorry I can't offer more help. Hopefully there is a mom who knows how to fix this issue and pump the right balance. I'd be curious to see any replies. Good luck!

To address foremilk/hindmilk issues for nursing, the LLL recommends nursing several times on each side before switching sides. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

However, I believe you should be able to address the issue even more simply using a pump. Just pump for a bit longer each time, waiting for the second let-down (massaging your breasts while pumping helps with this).

I do not recommend pumping more frequently, however. This will help with getting more hindmilk, but it could also increase your supply, which is usually what caused the problem to begin with! I am not an expert by any means, but I suffered serious oversupply - I found longer pumping sessions to be the answer, rather than more frequent pumping sessions.

Now my baby is ten months old and my oversupply foremilk/hindmilk problems are in the distant past. Your body will eventually self-regulate. It may seem like it will never happen, but it will!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

w/ PP about the longer pumping times. That second let-down is key. Sometimes at work I will go 2-3 min w/o anything, then I get that second let-down for about 1/2-1oz per breast of pure, hindmilky goodness
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

How do you know you don't have much hindmilk? Are you judging based on your baby's diaper output, by what you've seen in a bottle of pumped milk, or by some other measure?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"