Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raisins

Default Raisins

Are raisins safe to give to my one year old? I am a little worried about him choking but I am also thinking they are small enough that he shouldn't have a problem. We have done BLS with him so he is used to getting little pieces of food and does well with it. I am just having a hard time thinking of snack type things to give to him. Any advice?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Default Re: Raisins

I have read some reccomendations that say no raisins until age three or even up to age five

We also did BLS, so under that philosophy, if they can pick it up, put it in their mouth, chew it, and swallow it, it's all good.

I think I gave them (cautiously) to my DD before she was one. She eats them and does just fine. She will also eat nuts I (occasionally) give her one at a time (another no no according to some sources).

You know your baby best and you know what s\he's capable of eating.

Another concern I've read about them is possible tooth decay, so make sure you brush his teeth
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I can't remember exactly, but I think we waited until he was a little older for raisins (can't remember exactly how old), and when we did, we cut them and made sure he was in his high chair to eat them (as opposed to walking around with them). I may be overly cautious (he'll be 3 next week and I still quarter his grapes ), but choking--true choking, as opposed to gagging--is a scary thing.

I've read conflicting information about when raisins are ok... I am holding off for molars so she can grind them, seems like that is something that needs to be smashed up with teeth to get any benefit from it.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

We were advised to wait on raisins/prunes - foods that are really sticky and hard to chew until close to 2.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

I started giving both of my boys raisins when they were around 15 months old. I was just very cautious about it. I made sure that I separated them if they were clumped together so that they wouldn't shove an entire wad of them in their mouth.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    I started giving both of my boys raisins when they were around 15 months old. I was just very cautious about it. I made sure that I separated them if they were clumped together so that they wouldn't shove an entire wad of them in their mouth.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

we gave raisins to ds2 when he was about one, maybe even before. I would separate them and give him two or three at one time so that he didn't stuff his mouth full

Keep in mind though, that raisins have a tendency to plump up once in the stomach, so a few goes a long way
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I think we also started around 16 months, maybe sooner? I can't remember anything anymore. But like PP's said, I was always with her while she ate them and made sure she didn't shove them all in at once.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I just finally let DD eat one yesterday and she loved it and had no problems at almost 17 months.