Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bm in bottle and solids

Default bm in bottle and solids

Hi mamas,
    It's been forever since I've posted as bf'ing has been going SO well! However, as is the rule, things are changing. DS is now 8 1/2 mo old and has been taking some solids, building up slowly. Totally turned down all the baby cereals--if he had words, he'd have said "are you kidding me??" Has been taking more purees, more kinds and greater amounts. I know that when I'm home, I bf on demand before offering any solids...but what about when I'm working and bf is being offered in a bottle? I tend to think he's taking less with he's with me as I'm suddenly pumping less and I can't think of any other reason. But of course when he's offered bf in a bottle, he can easily suck down 8-10 oz...but then DH is running out of milk! Should DH offer "only" a certain amount of bf per feeding and then offer as much solids as DS wants? I don't want to go to formula to "fill the void" per se, and I don't have much of a freezer stash as it goes bad even with scalding (darn lipase).
    Any suggestions/questions to lead to suggestions? Thanks!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Default Re: bm in bottle and solids

You mentioned that your son drinks 8-10 ounces at a time. On average a breastfed baby takes about 2-4 ounces at a time. It's possible that 8-10 ounces is more than he actually needs. Would it be possible for your dh to try other techniques to soothe him rather than feeding more breast milk? Maybe if he would take less milk while you are away you would not have to pump such a large quantity of milk.

However, breast milk is still the primary source of nutrition and solids are only for practice at his age. So it's important to make sure that he drinks milk before solids even if the milk is coming from a bottle. If your son is not nursing as frequently when you are together then it may help to cut down on the solids to encourage more frequent nursing.

Have you read this link about pumping more milk while working? http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug96p118.html
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

Ok, that helps...but about how many oz total should he be getting at this age? I worry because he often only eats 5 times during the day and is now sttn. Can he get enough bm in so few feedings without guzzling? I'll try to feed him more often, but he refuses...

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

I am definitely no expert, but I have been pumping for seven months (my baby is now ten and a half months old) and 8-10 oz at a sitting does seem like a lot! I have never moved to higher flow nipples, and my baby still drinks from 4-5 oz bottles. So he does drink 4 oz. at a time sometimes, but he has to work a bit harder for the milk. Perhaps move to a lower-flow nipple?

Also, at about 8.5 months, my husband started offering our baby solids first, and then breastmilk. Since we were nursing frequently in the evening and at night, this worked out well for us. Since your baby is sleeping through the night (jealous!), you may want to only do this for one meal a day? (Or not at all, obviously, follow the advice of the LLL folks first! My baby is very enthusiastic about breastmilk and picky about solids, so no fear of solids replacing breastmilk here.)
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; March 15th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks for the thoughts!

We are using slow flow nipples, but they are a bit on the old side. Even tho DH checks them regularly, maybe it's time to replace them...will give that a try.

Oh, I'm definitely not complaining about him sstn!! I'm just worried about his intake overall. He's always been on the low end of the weight scale...but so are we (both mom and dad have runner's builds)...so his pedi has never really been concerned about it. Soo...maybe I shouldn't either.

His diapers have been OK, altho he doesn't soak them the way he used to. And this am, he had a small "nugget" of poop for the first time--not hard, tho. But makes me wonder, is he getting enough fluid? Or is it just the increased fiber from veggies and "crunchy" cereal (some Cherrios and Gerber puffs). Maybe that's why he's been sucking down the milk--he's a little dehydrated? Maybe we should try a bit more with the sippy cup to get him more water? Hmmm...

And, forgetting the fluid issue, is there any concern to letting him have as much solids as he wants each feeding AFTER he's gotten (a lesser-than-usual) amount of milk? I'm having DH try cutting him off at 6 oz today to start, see how he does (DH claims "he'll scream until I give him more") and then maybe drop to 4-5 oz? But giving him more solids after (if he wants them)?

I'm glad he's such a great eater--both of bm and now starting to be so with solids--but mama can only pump so much at work!!!

Thanks again!

Married to Jake 10/7/06

Reading your posts is like looking in a mirror.

My son would probably drink a pint of breast milk at a go. I hold him at 5oz bottles though.

He also sleeps through the night, and only eats 6 times a day; sometimes @ daycare he gets an extra bottle, but I think it's just b/c they like to feed him. When we started purees, I noticed a sudden and dramatic thickening of his poo, to the point of it getting pretty hard and painful. I backed off on sweet potatoes (one of his favorites, and so easy to make in huge batches ), offered more fruits like plums and pears, and started giving him 2oz of apple juice per day diluted to 4oz total. I didn't really want him to be a "juice kid", so sometimes that 2/2 becomes 1/3.

Hope that helps!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks, jeno, that does help.

It looks like you ds is at least a month younger than mine...but has maybe gotten the hang of solids faster. I do think holding at 5 oz might be the best bet for us as well...assuming DH can handle it! I think he has a harder time with the changes than ds! Of course, ds will be starting daycare next month, so then it'll be out of our hands to some extent.

So my last question (for now) is how are solids then handled? After the bm, does whomever is feeding him just keep offering until he refuses? Or do you "only" offer a certain amount as well...possibly to keep him from getting over-filled and not wanting his milk at the next feeding? Again, he's 8 1/2 months, only eating 5-6 x/day (often 3.4-4.5 hours between feeds) and sttn.

Anyone up for offering a "typical" menu for their day, especially if your lo is bottle fed during the day? How much of what (I'd be fine with "fruit" "veggies" "meats" "starch" etc rather than actual foods if that's easier) would really be helpful--how many Tbs of each...or is it really offered until refused? I have seen "recommended" menus from Gerber (and it's always stated to watch for baby's cues and letting him decide how much to eat), but I'm always leery to follow the recommendations of those who are trying to sell the food...

Sorry if I'm repeating myself...I'm just worried I might over-feed or under-feed him!

Thanks!

Married to Jake 10/7/06

My baby gets most of her bm in a bottle due to milk removal issues...I give her 2 oz or so of milk (she's not a big eater) and then offer solids until she says she doesn't want any more (turns her face, closes her mouth). She has eaten as much as a half of an avocado or an entire small banana in one sitting.

Typical meals for her (there is no such thing as typical for her, sorry!).

Breakfast : 2 oz milk and then a few tsp of oatmeal with banana
    After breakfast another 1.5 oz or so, depends upon how much I pump.

Lunch (before this we nurse) offer something, maybe eat 1 tsp or so of rice (not cereal but just cooked brown rice), some banana, 1 oz of pumpkin or more. She has eaten up to 2 oz of solids but it's so unpredictable!

Snack: 2-3 oz of milk (I just offer her what I have pumped throughout the day and she nurses a few times).

Supper (nurse, bottle, then...) maybe an oz of solids like squash or pieces of baked potato. She may or may not take solids 3 times a day. Sometimes it's eating banana pieces on the floor while I sit next to her. Alot of her solids are eaten while sitting upright in the Moby since she isn't a huge fan of her high chair.

3-4 oz bottle of bm before bed.

I don't know how that all adds up, she nurses all night long (5 x usually) and I pump around 17 oz a day, she nurses 3-4 x/during the day. Some days she barely eats solids, some days she chows down.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks, Krystine--altho ds does sometimes seem to take quite a lot of solids, that was my sense: let him continue until he refuses. I guess I was just at times perplexed--wasn't he full when he stopped bf'ing just a little bit before? Does make me feel a bit better about not letting him guzzle a ton of bottled bm with dad, tho--he can instead have as much solids as he wants (after the bottle)!

By the way, reading you bf'ing history in your signature: you are an amazing, dedicated woman! Wow! What a lucky baby to have you as a mom!!

Ok, so then the only thing remaining: at 8-9 months, do I need to worry about making sure he has a "balanced" diet of solids, or is it just to experiment with textures and flavors. I know there's some concern about getting him enough iron...anything else he needs from solids? Any good websites anyone knows of regarding this?

Thanks, ladies...where would I be without you?

Married to Jake 10/7/06

lukesmom,

Thanks for the encouragement, it has been a long road but I do have a wonderful support system and just love my little girl to pieces.

I wouldn't worry about a balanced solid diet. One day it might just be a banana, the next day 2 oz of pumpkin. My understanding is most of their diet is milk anyway at this point and solids are a learning experience.

Some of my friend's 8-10 mo old babies eat so many solids (entire piece of toast at once, big bowl of cereal, little meat sticks) and some hardly touch them.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.