Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and Growth Spurt..

Default OALD and Growth Spurt..

Hello Folks

My LO is six weeks old today and we are doing WAY better with BFing than we were. She was tongue tied and then we got thrush. I have been doing one sided nursing/some block feeding to try to get our OALD under control as well. Yesterday was our first day without nipple shields (used due to damaged nipples) and it really seems my LO is just learning how to manage my letdown. My LC told me to try an upright football hold in the morning when my flow is the fastest, and the only time she really chokes/pulls off the breast due to flow.

She gained 7 oz in a little less than 4 days over the weekend and then yesterday started nursing like crazy. I don't know if I over did it a bit with my block/one sided nursing or if it's just a growth spurt. She'll nurse through whatever letdowns come quickly (I usually have one almost immediately and if my breasts are full I'll have another one in a minute or so, up to 3/4 that I notice) she starts to get fussy at the breast. I don't know if it's just tummy upset from the flow (but this is in the afternoon, so she isn't getting as much of one), my most recent theory has been that she is impatient in having to work for the milk. She'll sometime settle if I do compressions. (when she pulls off during these times she's immediately rooting again) Eventually she'll get to the point where as soon as the nipple touches her mouth she spits it out again. (and does the same with the shield when I've tried that) I'll try to hand express a touch and won't get anything, so I've been assuming that she's actually emptied the breast. I know she *could get more out of it, but apparently it involves a lot more sucking than she's willing to put in. If I switch sides she's happy (and enjoying a letdown).

She's started doing a lot more tugging and wrestling while nursing.. I don't know if it's the same deal, frustrated with slow flow. It was a little concerning to me yesterday because my breasts seemed constantly empty, every time she wanted to nurse we were dealing with the above situation. Does this sound like a growth spurt and she is just trying to increase my supply? Before bed last night I gave her a bottle of EBM and she drank 2 oz of it (very irritated with the process.. she did not want the bottle but would suck at it once she figured out it was giving her milk, she's only had a bottle once before). I felt bad that I didn't have that in me to give her, as she went right to sleep after drinking it.

In addition to any theories about our current situation, does anyone have any hints for the tugging? I'd love to teach her not to do it... it makes me *very nervous for my nips!

TYIN!

Default Re: OALD and Growth Spurt..

I'm more and more confused... considering again an under supply problem.. how could I tell if I was one of the people who have OALD without OS? Even last night, after four hours of no nursing, my left breast seemed to only have one letdown readily available. LO was very calmly refusing to nurse but crying if I picked her up until I finally figured it out and offered the other side. Same thing this am after another four hours -- in fact, the right side I didn't get any letdown from, she nursed for about 5 min.

Her tugging is getting more aggressive and her fussiness more intense over this whole deal. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Glad that things are going better! It sounds like whatever OALD problems you have are relatively minor at this point- otherwise you'd have problems more often than just in the morning.

It definitely sounds like your LO is going through a spurt. I would try two-sided feedings for a while, and perhaps do single-sided feedings only in the morning when you notice the choking and pulling off the breast.

I'm not sure how one handles the tugging other than letting time take care of it. It could be your LO's way of slowing the flow or speeding it up when that's what she needs, YK? But as she grows, she's going to be able to handle a slower/faster flow with less effort, and then the tugging should decrease.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was feeling like the OALD was pretty much handled as well - or at least that she's adapting well enough to not worry about it. I do still wonder, as she is very gassy, has explosive, watery poops which seem to bother her about 50% of the time. They are yellow though.. sometimes green chunkies in it (like blended spinach) but the base is always predominately yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2cooklet View Post
    They are yellow though.. sometimes green chunkies in it (like blended spinach) but the base is always predominately yellow.
    From what I understand, that is great! That means your LO isn't getting too much foremilk (which is pretty common with OALD).

I still have OALD, but I only feel the first letdown now even though I know I have more than one. I used to feel every.single.one. but it's much more manageable now. Sounds like you and your LO are figuring each other out!

Regarding the tugging, I wouldn't worry about it, like pp said. Even though it can be a little uncomfortable, it's probably just your LO manipulating the flow or getting impatient waiting for another letdown.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

I almost feel like I should move this topic now! She's still doing the same thing.. apparently emptying me at almost every feeding. In the afternoon/evening this leads to emptying on both sides and her crying because she wants more. She's still wetting lots of diapers, but I really want to satisfy her.

Does it make sense that I may have lowered my supply too much? She sleeps a ~5 hour stretch followed by another 3-4 hour stretch at night... maybe I should wake up and make her eat/pump? Or have I just not waited long enough and this really is her demanding more in a growth spurt. I realize I'm not seeing it truly clearly because we're only a few days into nipple shield free nursing and she finishes much faster. I've wondered if maybe she's just used to nursing for longer and having milk the whole time (so comfort nursing but not?)... but it doesn't really add up since she really does act hungry.

I'm not sure that I have any insight, but here's my experience. At around 6 weeks, my LO started "playing" at the breast sometimes. He start thrashing around, pulling on my nipple, sucking the nipple in and spitting it out, smacking me with his free arm, popping on and off, grunting, and then cry if I took him off the breast. It seems to be kind of a stage. I also believe he was not really that hungry. He'd empty the first breast, and then start this fussing on the second (mostly because I offer him a feeding before bedtime even if he isn't specifically showing hunger signs). Sometimes, he'd poop! I think for us it's one or more of three things: not really hungry, developmental stage, and/or concentrating on gas/pooping. He still does it sometimes, but 6 weeks is when I noticed it surfacing for the first time.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.