Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cottage cheese spit-up

Default cottage cheese spit-up

My DS 12 weeks old, almost never spits up when he's on the breast. He usually spits up a moderate amount when he's bottle fed. Yesterday when I picked up my DS from daycare, the woman told me his spit-up looked like cottage cheese. She said she didn't want to scare me or anything, but just wanted to let me know and thought I should mention it to his peditrician at the next check-up.

I assume she means that my DS's spit-up was "chucky" in texture? Doesn't it always like that (at least to me, any kid I've seen)? I don't really understand what makes this so special or of concern? She mentioned acid reflux I think, or the possibility as a result of a change in my diet. Is it possible there could be an onset of acid reflux at this age? My DS is not bothered when he spits-up. He's not fussy or anything like that.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: cottage cheese spit-up

Is your daycare not used to breastfed babies? Both my kids would occassionally spit up curdy looking spit-up. I've always noticed it if they spit up awhile after eating as opposed to right after. To me it looks kind of like the curds in a BF baby's poop.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Ditto. We get curdy spit up too if it's not immediately after a feeding. And sometimes even then if it was a longer feeding as the milk has time to be partially digested.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamas.mama View Post
    Ditto. We get curdy spit up too if it's not immediately after a feeding. And sometimes even then if it was a longer feeding as the milk has time to be partially digested.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Is your daycare not used to breastfed babies? Both my kids would occassionally spit up curdy looking spit-up. I've always noticed it if they spit up awhile after eating as opposed to right after. To me it looks kind of like the curds in a BF baby's poop.
    Thankfully, the daycare woman actually BF all of her 3 children... but I don't know if she ever had to bottle feed them EBM. Now that you point it out, he usually doesn't spit up right away... it'll be any where from 5 minutes to half an hour later.

Worth mentioning to the doctor? Should I be concerned?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lavenda319 View Post
    Thankfully, the daycare woman actually BF all of her 3 children... but I don't know if she ever had to bottle feed them EBM. Now that you point it out, he usually doesn't spit up right away... it'll be any where from 5 minutes to half an hour later.

Worth mentioning to the doctor? Should I be concerned?
    I don't think it's cause for concern. Maybe she didn't bottlefeed her kids and they weren't big spitters. I know DS2 spits up a lot more on the days he gets bottles too.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I agree with PPs. That's how my son's spit-up looks most of the time. No real reason for concern.

agree with PPs DS's spit up always looks "chunky" or "curds" if its been a while since he ate.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton