Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sage tea for overabundant milk problems?

Default Sage tea for overabundant milk problems?

I read recently on another lactation-themed discussion list that drinking sage tea can help reduce milk supply. Does LLL recommend this? Has anyone else heard about this?

--Rebecca

Default Re: Sage tea for overabundant milk problems?

Rebecca,
    Page 127 of the Breastfeeding Answer Book actually does mention drinking sage tea as a strategy for reducing milk production in mom's who overproduce The BAB cites a reference of Riordan, J. and Auerback, K. Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 2nd ed. Boston and London: Jones and Bartlett 1999, pg. 175, 657.

So, yes LLL does recommend it! First time I've actually heard of it though (guess that tells me I need to read my BAB more often, eh? lol).

Great question!

i wore cabbage leaves and drank sage tea to overcome a huge oversupply in my left breast at 4 weeks post-partum, HOWEVER, it was on the advice and with the guidance of an IBCLC. i would not recommend doing it on your own. sage is a well-known herb to take when you are weaning. i have heard of women who eat food w/ high amounts of sage in it who notice a dip in their supply. i would not deal w/ an oversupply problem in this way unless someone like an LC recommended it b/c i would be afraid that i'd quickly go from having too strong a supply to no supply at all.

that said, it worked for me. i had two cups the first day and one cup the next two days.

Be VERY careful. I used Sage as an ingredient in a dinner one night, and it took me a week to get my supply back up. It's very potent stuff. It's better to have an oversupply, than an undersupply.