Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much milk, please help! Exclusively pumping

Unhappy canceled thread

Last edited by @llli*penguin; May 13th, 2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: wanted to delete the post

Default Re: Too much milk, please help! Exclusively pumping

I had the same problem when I EPed, but I was so paranoid and afraid I was going to lose my milk supply entirely. I ended up donating milk, about 10,000 ounces. I finally slowed down and stopped pumping when I was pregnant since that pretty much killed my supply. Sorry I don't have better advice.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Too much milk, please help! Exclusively pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*omyness View Post
    I tried pumping less frequently but it's too painful. I tried less time but more frequently, but now my breasts become full much quicker it seems and are very sore and engorged after just a few hours.
    Well, first of all, take whatever I say with a grain of salt. Nice disclaimer, huh?? I say that because I've only pumped a handful of times, but I DO have OS. Here are some tips that come to mind.

- When you decrease the frequency of feedings, you said your breast become very full and engorged. If they become too sore you can hand express just enough to relieve the engorgement. It is important to let your body know your baby does need that much milk, and the way to tell it is by not emptying your breasts.
    -When you pumped more frequently for shorter sessions, it likely increased your supply, so stop that.
    -I agree with PP that you should look into donating milk. Here is a link for the Human Milk Banking Association of North America
    -Don't decrease your supply so much that when you are able to bf your LO you have low supply issues. It's better (IMO) to have a surplus of milk that you can donate than try to increase your supply later.

Lastly, hang in there! It sounds like you're doing great!!!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).