Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cow's milk for cereal?

Default Cow's milk for cereal?

My 8 month old gets cereal with fruit in the mornings. I have been using formula for his cereal because I barely pump enough to keep him fed when I have to work. He gets 1 or maybe 2 oz. of formula with his cereal. Is there any reason why he can't get cow's milk rather than formula? I don't see why not if they can have cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

Thanks!
    Kerri - Mama to 3 fabulous little dudes!

Luke 2/1/01 ~ Didn't attempt to BF
    Jack 2/11/06 ~ BF attempt unsuccessful
    Toby 7/13/09 ~ BFing since day one!

Default Re: Cow's milk for cereal?

My understanding is that the "dairy-ness" of yogurt, cheese, etc has been altered by the way they're made, so they're not the same as giving cow's milk. We gave yogurt and cottage cheese before a year, but we waited on cow's milk--I have no idea if it would have been a problem if we hadn't waited, but I felt better waiting.

with the PP. Making cheese and yogurt (or formula) alters the chemistry of the cow's milk so that it's not going to cause issues for the baby. I would continue to use formula for the cereal until your baby turns one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

what kind of cereal?
    maybe you can switch to cold cereal he can self feed that way you don't need milk or formula for it.

heres a good link about picking cereals.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t040700.asp

Just doing the organic baby oatmeal. He isn't ready for anything else yet..... gets gaggy.

Thanks for the replies.
    Kerri - Mama to 3 fabulous little dudes!

Luke 2/1/01 ~ Didn't attempt to BF
    Jack 2/11/06 ~ BF attempt unsuccessful
    Toby 7/13/09 ~ BFing since day one!

I was just given a artical on solids today at the heathunit. It says that you can introduce cows milk at 9 months, BUT, not as a replacement for breastmilk or formula. Its goes on to say if you offer cows milk before 12 months, to do so only in small amounts. http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile69c.stm
    Your LO is only 8 months, but I would think that pretty soon it would be fine to put a little in his cereal.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Would you be able to mix 1oz BM with 1oz of formula or cows milk?

If not, Id say its probably ok soon, but watch for signs of allergy - can be anything from a sore tummy to a bum rash.
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!