Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast milk in cereal

Default breast milk in cereal

My 6 month old son likes his cereals warm almost hot. I don't blame him. I dont' want to eat cold oatmeal. I'm going to try to sneak some breast milk in. I know you can't microwave breast milk (not completely sure why). But can I microwave the cereal that contains breast milk?

Default Re: breast milk in cereal

I wouldn't. It may seem like work, but I always heat up the breastmilk I'm going to add to the cereal in a bottle warmer and then (once it is warm), add it to the cereal and I'm good to go. HTH!

as far as i know the biggest reason to not microwave BM is because you don't want hot spots in your milk. if you stir up your cereal really good, it might work out ok. but i always warm mine in hot water, just to be safe.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

you don't want to microwave breastmilk, even in cereal, as it breaks down the composition, immunities and nutrients of the breastmilk. For my ds1, I would just express straight into the bowl! Nice body temp milk!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

that's what i always did with avocado with DS -- mash it up, express right into the bowl and mix it up. like i said, i always warm BM in hot water, but the only issue that i was aware of was hot spots, so i didn't think it would be a problem if you were mixing it, since i microwave my DS's solids, and just stir them really well.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/