Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something has clicked...

Default Something has clicked...

and Silas is HUNGRY for solids. All of a sudden he wants to eat our food. He hasn't been into solids at all really. He just nibbled here and there and pretty much refused anything other than fruit. But now he wants what WE are eating. Specifically he wants what is going in my mouth. When I try and give him a less complicated version (read w/out condimemts, salt etc) he gets TICKED. He wanted to bite my whole sandwich today like I was doing. When I tried to give him some of the cucumber from the sammy he got mad and yelled and reached with intensity for the sandwich. There was all kinds of stuff on the sandwich that he hasn't tried yet and I was worried because of the whole "you're supposed to wait 4-5 days before offering new foods" thing and there were about 5 things in the sandwich that he hadn't been given yet but I relented and offered him a bite. He LOVED it. LOVED it. LOVED it. It was so funny, he moaned and MMMM'd and opened his mouth again for another bite. So I let him. I'm gonna have to change how I eat around him now (read no french fries )
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Something has clicked...

Lance did a very similar thing... we did purees and he never took to them but at 10 months he was eating almost everything we were eating. He has a really varied palette though, he eats Thai and Indian food and all kinds of things now. I think offering him what we ate from early on did help.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I think I will be scrapping all the seperate prep. It's not worth it, he barely eats the plain stuff anyway. I just worry it's too early to just offer whatever we are having prepared the way we prepare it.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

sarah went right to table foods MUCH LESS WORK!

french fries are ok a few at a time. NOT every meal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    sarah went right to table foods MUCH LESS WORK!
    french fries are ok a few at a time. NOT every meal
    This is what I'm thinking too! Preparing a meal 2 ways (or 2 completely differant things) is a pain in the butt. I think that it's really just following the BLS principles right? I just worry about introducing several new food each week instead of spacing it out. But we'll be careful.

What is the general feel about condiments? We use A LOT of condiments in our food like dressings, spices etc.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Yeah!

I think condiments & spices are great! Just watch out for too much salt for LO.

Remember he's been exposed to lots of flavors thru breastmilk.

DS1 hated bland "baby" food and loves strong flavors like soy sauce (I get low sodium) and balsamic vinegar.

I just take it easy on cooking with too much red pepper. DH and I can add more later.

Oh and my 3 going on 4 yo STILL likes MY food from my plate best even when it's exactly the same as the food on his own plate.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Yeah!

I think condiments & spices are great! Just watch out for too much salt for LO.

Remember he's been exposed to lots of flavors thru breastmilk.

DS1 hated bland "baby" food and loves strong flavors like soy sauce (I get low sodium) and balsamic vinegar.

I just take it easy on cooking with too much red pepper. DH and I can add more later.

Oh and my 3 going on 4 yo STILL likes MY food from my plate best even when it's exactly the same as the food on his own plate.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post

What is the general feel about condiments? We use A LOT of condiments in our food like dressings, spices etc.
    I agree with others that condiments and spices are fine. I try to stay away from salt, though not always. Cinnamon and curry powder in particular can add a lot of flavor to a lot of foods.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

DS eats the same foods we get, for the most part. If the meal isn't kid friendly, I'll stick a serving in my pampered chef food chopper and chop until it's in fine bits. I wanted to do baby led weaning, but my kiddo likes being fed with a spoon.

He's had various curries and highly flavored dishes, and enjoyed all of them.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

My 6 month old started solids 2 weeks ago, but all of a sudden he wants what I AM EATING!!!! I gave him some baked potato and he loved it, yesterday I went to a baby shower and had chicken, gave him very small amounts and he mmmm all the time, got MAD a few times when I was taking to long to give him some, and today I had to share some of my rice and he loved it. I had peas for him and it took me ALL day for him to finish them.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas