Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Timing of solids and BF

Question Timing of solids and BF

I work on Saturdays from 8-12. My son (7 mos) nurses at 6:30ish before I go, and is generally on an every 3 hour schedule (he did that, not us). Usually he takes his long morning nap around 10:30 or so, but is generally ready to eat whenever he gets up. Since he's been on solids (about a month) I've been having hubby offer a 2oz container of purée to hold him off so he doesn't have to get another bottle - and so I don't have to pump again

I know you should normally offer breast milk first, but my priority is to nurse as much as I can on the weekends since I work full time outside the home.
    Does anyone see a problem with giving solids first in this case?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: Timing of solids and BF

no I think there is nothing wrong with solids first when breast is not available just maybe hhe dosen't offer a full serving, just a little, have you thought about baby led solids/ weaning at all?? that way baby conrols how much he takes...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: Timing of solids and BF

I definitely considered baby-led solids. For several reasons I decided to go ahead w/ purees when he turned 6 mos. I intend to let him go on w/ finger foods as soon as he as the dexterity (I'm thinking within the next month or so), but for now, homemade purees.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos