Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mom in need of advice

Question Mom in need of advice

Ok I'm new here and would love some advice. Im a mother of four beautiful children. My youngest baby VI is going to be 6 mos in 2 wks. She weights 18lbs now and I was only feeding her BM until she turned 4 mos. I had a very pushy Dr. who said "I HAD TO GIVE HER CEREAL AT 4mos". So trusting her meaning the Dr., I started feeding her rice cereal only once a day as dinner. My VI seem to do just fine with the cereal and so did I. Just a few days ago I read on the web that cereal is no good for babies especially BM babies? Now thats gotten me a bit confused and feeling guilty. I have been trying to be good with my diet I must admit I forget to take my Vitamins once in awhile but overall I'm good. It's my first BM exclusively baby until this Dr.said something. My VI was born at 37 wks and I just want the best for her. Is feeding her rice cereal that bad?

with my hubby and kids!

Default Re: Mom in need of advice

Babies don't need anything but breastmilk for the first 6 months- even big babies. Babies digestive systems are not ready for anything but breastmilk until around 6 months. Unfortuantely a lot of Drs are still in the old school of thought and will push the rice cereal at 4 months. That being said don't beat your self up for starting cereal that young. The main concern other than the digestive tract not really being ready is that the rice cereal other than being fortified with vitamins and iron is just starch and is not as nutritious as the breastmilk that it is replacing in the LO's diet. Even if you do not take vitamins or don't eat very well your breastmilk is still nutritionally superior to rice cereal. Some people chose to skip rice cereal all together and go straight to veggies and fruits- we did this and my little guy was 24lbs at 6 months.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Smile Re: Mom in need of advice

It sure is hard when we are getting conflicting advice about what to do with our babies! Don't be too hard on yourself - you made the best decision you could at the time.

This link might help you figure out where your baby is developmentally, and if she is ready for solids: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html. If you decide to move forward with solids, this link gives you some guidance on options for what to feel her: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html. I know that my babies all loved bananas & avocados (mashed up well, with a little water or breast milk added) as first foods!

Trish