Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice regarding 10 month old

Default Advice regarding 10 month old

Ok, my DD turned 10 months old last Friday and we're having a bit of a change in our routine and wanted to see if it still sounds reasonable. Here is a sample of our schedule for the past few weeks:

7:15 am - feeding with mommy (1)
    9 am - 10 am - nap
    10 am - 4-4.5 oz from a bottle (2)
    11 am - offer solids
    12 am - 1 pm - nap
    1 pm - 4-4.5 oz from a bottle (3)
    3 pm - offer solids
    4 pm - 4-4.5 oz from a bottle (4)
    4:30 pm -5:30 pm - nap
    5:30 pm - feeding with mommy (5)
    7 pm - offer solids
    8:30 pm - feeding with mommy, then go to sleep (6)
    2 am ish - feeding with mommy (7)

So we had 7 bm feedings and 3 solids feedings. She has had 7 feedings for a long time, since 3-4 months old and the solids feedings we've just been working on offering since she's be 7 months old.

Lately she's started to drop a couple feedings. Like a couple times after I got home from work she wouldn't want to eat the 5:30 feeding. I thought, no big deal, she just ate at 4, she'll get some solids, maybe she just wants that instead of milk. Now a couple times she's refused the 7:15 am feeding if her overnight feeding was closer to 4 am than 2 am. One day she refused both of those feedings and sometimes some of the other feedings have been hard, though she's never had less than 5 feedings in a day and only once did she only have 5. Her diaper output is still good, but she does get water with her solids.

Her method of refusal is just to not lie still to nurse and if I persist in offering she'll bite me. Sometimes a distraction like stopping to change a diaper and then settling back in to nurse will work, but not always.

I'm guessing this is normal. Should I worry if she's only getting 5 or 6 feedings a day? I would never refuse to feed her if she wanted it, but other than the middle of the night feeding, she really never "demands" to nurse. We're having some teething issues, but I don't think that is what is causing the refused nursing sessions. Sometimes she's in a very very good mood and just doesn't want to nurse. It's just harder to respond to these schedule fluctuations when I'm pumping at work and not at home with her.

I've worked so hard at this nursing thing I don't want to mess things up now!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Default Re: Advice regarding 10 month old

How much is she eating with the solids? How much water is she drinking? For me, personally, I would cut back on solids if I thought my daughter wasn't nursing enough.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How much is she eating with the solids? How much water is she drinking? For me, personally, I would cut back on solids if I thought my daughter wasn't nursing enough.
    with Tracie. At least until one. She really needs to be getting the bulk of her nutrition from breastmilk still.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

lets see, she eats maybe an oz to an oz and a half of prunes in the morning, maybe an oz to oz and a half of oatmeal with a little blackstrap molasses for lunch and her fav is maybe 2 oz of pears with an oz of avacado in the evening. I don't think she gets more than an oz of water all day, maybe 2.

sometimes she gets carrots, sometimes carrots with some chicken or turkey, but not often. she doesn't really like solid food that much for the most part.

I have no idea if thats a lot for a baby her age. Cutting back really isn't an option with DH. I wanted to do BLS, which would basically mean she'd eat nothing because she's not into food, but DH refuses so its purees for the little one.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    Have milk, will fly!

Well it doesn't really sound like very much in the way of solids to me. And if she's not into solids, then she won't eat more than she wants. Lilah would just spit it out if you gave her something she didn't want to eat on a spoon.

Perhaps she's eating more when nursing in fewer sessions? Has her diaper count stayed the same?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Well it doesn't really sound like very much in the way of solids to me. And if she's not into solids, then she won't eat more than she wants. Lilah would just spit it out if you gave her something she didn't want to eat on a spoon.

Perhaps she's eating more when nursing in fewer sessions? Has her diaper count stayed the same?
    she makes this awesome sound when she's done eating and she won't open her mouth for anything after that, so yea, solids are still a bit of a trial. And sometimes we offer and she doesn't eat any. And if you put food in front of her, she'll touch it, get it all over her hands and then decide she hates it there and that's the end of that.

I'd say her diapers are pretty much the same. She's always been a bulk eater and never really subscribed to the "lots of small nursing sessions" philosophy. we had a nursing scale for a while and for the middle of the night feedings and early morning feedings it wasn't unusual for her to eat 6 oz from the boob. Most of her other meals are in the 4 oz range except the late day ones which are 2-3 oz.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    for 21 months!
    Have milk, will fly!

I wonder if your husband would be ok with you giving her some food chunks to play with when he's done feeding her the purees - in the same mealtime, I mean. Maybe she would gnaw on them. And he wouldn't feel like his wishes were being ignored.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I wonder if your husband would be ok with you giving her some food chunks to play with when he's done feeding her the purees - in the same mealtime, I mean. Maybe she would gnaw on them. And he wouldn't feel like his wishes were being ignored.
    we've tried that some. seriously, once the food gets on her hands, she gets really upset and you have to clean her off. Our ped recommended letting her handle food as well which is how I got him to try in the first place. DD just does not like it one bit.

Also, in general, she doesn't stick things in her mouth. We're still careful with what we leave around, but even with her teething, she'll stick a finger in her mouth, but thats about it unless its biting someone.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    for 21 months!
    Have milk, will fly!