Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I do!?! I'm desperate.

Exclamation What do I do!?! I'm desperate.

The past 5 days my supply has gone down and down and down.

My LO is 3.5 months. On the days I was off he was not making more than 3-4 not so wet diapers in 24hrs. He nursed ALL night last night from 11p to 5a and his diaper was BONE DRY!

My pumping out put went from @ 14-12oz to today 9.5oz. Today I pumped 6x's in my 12hr shift. My husband used the very last of our feezer stash today.

What should I do while I'm off tomorrow? I KNOW my son is NOT going be happy. He's gotten a bottle the past 3 days while I've been at work. How should I go about seeing he gets enough without totally sabotaging my little bit of supply left?

NOTE:
    When I noticed it dipping around 4 days ago I started taking fenugreek/blessed thistle/ and alfalfa. Yes, water. Yes, oatmeal. Yes, extra pumping. LOTS of pumping. Did a power pump last night. AF showed up today with a vengance. First one.

I'm just needing the best plan of action since I know I'm going to need to supplement tomorrow when I'm home with him.

Default Re: What do I do!?! I'm desperate.

Hang in there mama and keep nursing! Many mama's report a dip in supply right before their period returns but it is temporary. Keep stimulating your breasts through nursing and pumping, and it should bounce right back.

If you do decide to supplement tomorrow, make sure that you pump every time that baby has a bottle, so your breasts don't miss the signals to make milk. Better yet, try to nurse all day if you can..
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Hang in there mama and keep nursing! Many mama's report a dip in supply right before their period returns but it is temporary. Keep stimulating your breasts through nursing and pumping, and it should bounce right back.

If you do decide to supplement tomorrow, make sure that you pump every time that baby has a bottle, so your breasts don't miss the signals to make milk. Better yet, try to nurse all day if you can..
    That's what I was intending. Setting up camp on the couch. Get my 3 yo set up with movies and what not to keep her busy.

I just don't want to starve my poor little guy either. So if it gets to the point he's just beside himself hungry I guess start with an ounce or two and see if it satisfies him then keep nursing/pumping?

Will him getting formula during the days I have to be back to work hurt my efforts too? I really have no other choice unless I can manage to get a bit stored the next two days. Which will probably be near impossible.

How long can it take for fenugreek and stuff to work if it hasn't yet?

You're doing all the right things. Keep nursing, mama!!

How much of the fenugreek are you taking per day?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

With fenugreek you know you're taking enough when your sweat and pee smell like maple syrup. If you don't smell funny, you likely need to take more. I think I took three pills three times a day for two days or so before it kicked in for me.

If you have to supplement for a few days when you're back to work, just keep pumping as you normally do to keep your supply up. I've heard that the first cycle is the worst for this if that's any comfort mama.. It should never be this dramatic again.
    Jess

With fenugreek you know you're taking enough when your sweat and pee smell like maple syrup. If you don't smell funny, you likely need to take more. I think I took three pills three times a day for two days or so before it kicked in for me.

If you have to supplement for a few days when you're back to work, just keep pumping as you normally do to keep your supply up. I've heard that the first cycle is the worst for this if that's any comfort mama.. It should never be this dramatic again.
    Yes that is so much comfort actually!

I'm taking 4 550mg capsuls 3x's a day. I do smell a teeeny bit like maple but its very very slight. Not my urine though.

Well, I have read that since the potency can vary so much, just up your dose until it works. Dr.Newman has a good bit on herbals and that is his advice.
    Jess

No advice here.

I just wanted to jump in to say good luck. It sounds temporary. Enjoy your nursing-fest!

I experienced something very similar when my period was returning for the first time. (And for each period thereafter, but not quite to the same degree.)

When I took fenugreek, my understanding was the same as PPs--that if you didn't smell like maple syrup, you weren't taking enough. I also usually saw results within a day or two, and ate oatmeal as much as I could and made lactation cookies as snacks.

Good luck!!

This just happened to me last week. My first period PP and my supply tanked for a few days. It is rebounding nicely now though so hang on!!!

w/ Jessruff she has given you great advice!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together