Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you sanitize?

Default How often do you sanitize?

How often do you sanitize your pump equipment and bottles? Should we be sanitizing every time we pump? You would think yes, since you don't want any bacteria in your pumped milk that you store. I am a first time mom with an 8 week old, so obviously I haven't been pumping for very long. I might be over board, but I don't want any bacteria getting into milk that I am going to store.

My husband is a home brewer. He suggested that when I sanitize my pumping stuff I should use what he uses to sanitize his brewing equipment.
    He uses a one step, no rinse spray that is food grade. It doesn't mess with my pumped milk and is 100% safe.
    I have some in a spray bottle with my pumping equipment that I use. I have had no problems using it thus far.
    This is what I have been using

I run my bottles, shields, lids, etc though the dishwasher. I will take them out of the dishwasher and put them in my breastfeeding supply basket and spray what I need, when I need it. Once the equipment hangs out in the open air for for awhile it's no longer clean (right?), so I then sanitize every time I pump.
    Sometimes if I am not at home I will rinse my shield and pumping stuff after I use it once and then spray it before I use it again.

- Is there a specific breast pump sanitizing spray out there?
    - Does anyone see any huge red flags in this?
    - I am super excited about this spray. It's so easy. Does anyone else out there thinking "that's amazing!" ?
    - Thoughts?
    First time mommy to Esther - born 1/19/10

Default Re: How often do you sanitize?

I pump at work, so I use my pump quite often. While I work, I will just wash out the parts with water. When I get home, I use soap and water to clean them. I sanitize once a week on the weekends.

I don't think there's a breast pump sanitizing spray out there, at least not one that I know of.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

There is the Medela brand sanitizing bags for the microwave. I just stopped pumping yesterday () but, that is what I used in the past. You put water in the bag (3 oz I think, directions are on the bags) and microwave for 3.5 minutes. I used it once a week when I was pumping 3-4 times a day. Otherwise, I would occasionaly put the parts in the dishwasher but, I was always worried about the soap not rinsing enough.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

I would sanitize occassionally when I was pumping for DS1, but I haven't at all this time around. Everything just gets washed in hot soapy water. I think unless you child is immune comprimised for some reason it's not really necessary. Also, I tend to think generally as a society we go overboard with killing microbes.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I washed parts 1x per day and steam sanitized 1x per week
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lavenda319 View Post
    I pump at work, so I use my pump quite often. While I work, I will just wash out the parts with water. When I get home, I use soap and water to clean them. I sanitize once a week on the weekends.
    This is what I did back in my pumping days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    I washed parts 1x per day and steam sanitized 1x per week

(Except, when I went back to work with DD she was under 12 weeks so I was steam sterilizing every work day. I knew it was completely overkill, but I already had a sick one and a half year old in the house )
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I only sanitized once - when I took the stuff out of the package i didn't have any reason to do it so often.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I usually wash the attachments in hot soapy water - antibac dish detergent. Once in awhile, I will throw them in the dishwasher or sterilze, but not very often at all. The tubing gets a steam cleaning or isopropyl alcohol rinse more often because of the moisture I can't totally get out with running my pump. In the beginning, I was sterilizing bottles, etc, but read that unless you are using well water or have a higher risk baby, then there is no need to do so....
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

Initially, we were really obsessive and thought things had to be sterilized every pumping... however, our lives became much easier when we switched to:

* rinse pumping stuff with water between pumping sessions at work (every ~3-5h)
    * run dishwasher-safe stuff through dishwasher and wash the few non-dishwasher-safe stuff by hand in soapy water every night
    * boil/steam sanitize every couple of weeks, if that

I wish I'd switched to this sooner.