Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old solid food intake

Default 8 month old solid food intake

How much solids is your 8 month old eating a day? Right now, I am giving DS one jar (stage 2) of baby food per meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner). He seems to be always wanting more though. I wonder if I should add another jar. I try to nurse him before I feed him solids, but I think my milk supply is going down so perhaps he's not getting enough breastmilk now and is still hungry. I usually give him 6 oz bottles while he is at the babysitter's, but I have only been able to pump 4-5 oz per session now (down from 6-8 oz).

Default Re: 8 month old solid food intake

i would say that if ds is still hungry to give him a tiny bit more. i'm having a similair problem, though because dd is also 8 months old and i'm wondering if i should add a lunchtime feeding. i usually only give her something for lunch if we go out to eat, usually it's just breakfast and dinner. i'll probably just add a lunch feeding but make it small.
    have you tried beech nut's first advantage? it's higher in fat and it seems to keep my little one more satisfied with one jar.

If baby seems hungry at this stage, I would strongly recomend nursing more as upposed to offering more solids. Breastmilk oz for oz contains more calories and far more fat that nearly all solid foods. Nursing more often also is the very best thing to increase milk supply.

To keep my milk supply going I nurse at breakfast then she eats solids and breastmilk at lunch then she nurses usually once sometimes twice in the afternoons then has dinner then a little milk and milk before bed.

I was feeding her solids at breakfast but I noticed my milk was going down and it was hard for my milk to come in and my baby was getting frustrated.