Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cow's milk a requirement or recommendation for 1yr old?

Default cow's milk a requirement or recommendation for 1yr old?

My LO will be 1 on Wed. and the ped. said we needed to start her on cow's milk. Is that advice still applicable for breastfeeding babies? or just formula fed ones? She still nurses 5-6 times a day. Thank you!

Default Re: cow's milk a requirement or recommendation for 1yr old?

Cows milk for babies >1 year old is a recommendation, not a requirement. But many pediatricians treat it as if it were the latter rather than the former.

There are plenty of ways to meet your child's needs for calcium and fats other than using cow's milk. The best way is to nurse your baby at least 3-5 times a day. As long as she's nursing that much, there's no need to use cow's milk. You can also introduce lots of calcium-rich solids, like cheese, salmon, tofu, leafy greens (collards, spinach, etc.), beans, and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, bok choy, brussels sprouts).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you are still breastfeeding that many times a say you don't need to supplement with anything. You are still meeting the needs of the child. The AAP recommendation is set up that way because they assume that even if you are breastfeeding that you will wean right at a year. If you don't you don't need to worry. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Cows milk for babies >1 year old is a recommendation, not a requirement. But many pediatricians treat it as if it were the latter rather than the former.

There are plenty of ways to meet your child's needs for calcium and fats other than using cow's milk. The best way is to nurse your baby at least 3-5 times a day. As long as she's nursing that much, there's no need to use cow's milk. You can also introduce lots of calcium-rich solids, like cheese, salmon, tofu, leafy greens (collards, spinach, etc.), beans, and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, bok choy, brussels sprouts).

No need for cow's milk - ever
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    No need for cow's milk - ever
    The idea that any species could possibly have evolved with a need for the milk of another species is beyond my comprehension.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    The idea that any species could possibly have evolved with a need for the milk of another species is beyond my comprehension.
    ha - I've heard this idea stated all sorts of ways - but I really like this
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you ladies, the way it was presented it sounded like a "requirement" but glad to know that's not true. Like I stated, we nurse about 5 times in a 24hr period in addition to 3 "meals" and an afternoon snack. She does great w/ cheese, salmon, yogurt, broccoli, etc so I think she's getting her calcium.