Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: soy and almond milk?

Default soy and almond milk?

I'm 1 1/2 months away from introducing anything to DS. I know that cow's milk should not be introduced until 1 year and later, but I was wondering about soy milk and almond milk.

Is it safe to give or is there a risk of an allergic reaction?

I'm just trying to make a list of stuff I can introduce to him (not all at once).
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Default Re: soy and almond milk?

Soy is one of the top 8 allergens. So are nuts.

I wouldn't intro either of those until after a year. Why are you looking for a milk sub?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

ohh ok.
    I was just curious because i knew not to intoduce cow's milk and i wasnt sure if it was all milk.

I'm also very afraid of messing him up when i start solids so im just looking for answers
    Darylann

expecting a 8/15/2011

Aw, you won't mess him up mama.

Water is a fine liquid to offer in sippys etc to get them drinking from a cup. Eventually you can offer diluted juices, but it just means more sugar. My DD drinks water and BM.

I thought maybe you felt that you needed a milk sub for some reason.

Usually yoghurt is okay at 8 or 9 months and cheese as well. The proteins are easier to digest.

Solids should be fun! Try to just enjoy the ride and don't stress too much.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks!

I'm just a worry wart (thanks to my mom) but i'm a bit worse than she is. I've put tape over safety pins that are on his hat so they couldn't come undone. And I wanted to go to the emergency room when I cut his finger clipping his nails.

I'll offer him water and bm for a looooong time and maybe he'll get diluted juice as a special treat.

do you usually get a handout from the pedi as what to give at certain ages? Or should I just get it from all of you ladies? (I plan to ask you ladies anyways as I plan to do BLS)
    Darylann

expecting a 8/15/2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tjmom09 View Post
    Thanks!

I'm just a worry wart (thanks to my mom) but i'm a bit worse than she is. I've put tape over safety pins that are on his hat so they couldn't come undone. And I wanted to go to the emergency room when I cut his finger clipping his nails.

I'll offer him water and bm for a looooong time and maybe he'll get diluted juice as a special treat.

do you usually get a handout from the pedi as what to give at certain ages? Or should I just get it from all of you ladies? (I plan to ask you ladies anyways as I plan to do BLS)
    Ill bet your doc hasn't heard of BLS

This sheet is a good starter with regard to starting solids as a whole and this one has good finger food ideas
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I am normally the opposite of a worry wort, but I do worry about soy and boys. Soy in some way mimics female hormones and there are so many already in our water supply (partly due to so many of us taking hormonal birth control and peeing) that I worry about our boys (there are a whole heck of a lot of fish out there that don't know what sex they are due to the water, we are a bit more complicated than fish, but since we don't need soy why have it)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.