Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation and refusing fluids!

Default constipation and refusing fluids!

My LO is almost 8 mos and loving solids, but still has not been able to figure out how to drink from and not play with his sippy cup. he has never had regular bottles and therefore wouldnt take them, which is fine with me except im not sure how to get him to take in enough fluids. we are trying to mostly practice BLW and DS is eating with us at meal times and now nursing for his 2-3 naps per day and before bed/at night so it feels as if he should be getting enough, but he is constipated and often passes pebble like poops. i keep offering a sippy with water and sometimes he chews on it, but never sips. how can i keep him hydrated and continue to introduce more solids?
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

Default Re: constipation and refusing fluids!

i should add that i have tried feeding mostly (about 80% of solid food intake) fruits and vegetables and have avoided potatoes and bananas to help, and it makes a bit of a difference, but i dont want to eliminate such great first foods forever! i also am afraid that im giving him a bit of a sweet tooth from all of the apples/pears/blueberries!
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

Default Re: constipation and refusing fluids!

I would try breastmilk in sippy cup instead of water. Breastmilk is really the only liquid needed in the first year and aids in digestion when introducing solids. Is it possibly the foods that is causing constipation? Bananas, apples, rice , toast? Pears and prunes are good for loosening up bowel movements. I also nurse first before offering solids and then again after. then my son eats as much as he wants . Good Luck!