Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3.5 week old and still not BF

Default Re: 3.5 week old and still not BF

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bravenandgabesmommy View Post
    Please hang in there. I saw 3 LC's in the hospital and then saw my wonderful LC again at 2 weeks. She advised me to have him checked for a slight tongue tie and at 3 weeks his tongue was clipped. It took me 4 more weeks of working with him and at 7 weeks we began a healthy EBF relationship.
    Where is this great LC?

How do you know if there is a toung tie?

I think the LCs I saw early on certainly didn't help the situation. They did the same thing where they were slamming her face into the breast. I believe that is part of the reason she started screaming every time I even had her in that position.

@llli*nid06

By try I just mean attempted. Sometimes he would cry and scream and fight the breast. Sometimes he would latch on (I would be in pain, but he would be getting milk.) Sometimes we could even do more. I just felt okay if I tried (successful or not) once a day so he would know this is something we are doing.

I had also been worried about things like being tongue tied or needing Infant cranio-sacral therapy, but it ended up working out eventually.

Take care.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .

Default Now 5 weeks old - Re: 3.5 week old and still not BF

Now my LO is 5 weeks old and has shown NO signs of improvement at BF. When do you give up?

Smile Re: 3.5 week old and still not BF

i had the SAME issue with my son who is now 4 weeks 2 days. He finally latched on successfully with the use of a breast shield 3 days ago. So don't give up it can happen. I put the shield on then took a bottle of breast milk and while i put the shield in his mouth i squirted some milk in his mouth at the same time. It tricked him to start sucking. i used this method about 20 times before it was a success. But now I do not need to "trick" him. so try that and good luck. Don't give up

Well I tried the shield again and squirted some milk in her mouth to get her to start sucking. I've done this a couple of times now and it seems to get her to start sucking but she is not sucking hard enough to get a lot of milk. Also, she keeps falling asleep. So she wakes up again hungry. Did you have any problems with the strength of the suck? Right now I'm trying to put her on the shield ever other time so she can get a full feeding the other time and is not frantic when I put her to the breast. Any suggestions if this is the right way to go?

One of my babies was in the NICU for three weeks, and we only successfully latched once while she was in, and that was for about 2 minutes. She's now breastfeeding, at 7 weeks old, though we are using nipple shields. Spending time with your baby at your breast without the stress of feeding might be helpful. When my daughter was in the NICU we spent lots of time skin-to-skin, and I let her sort of explore my breast, but she sure wasn't interested in actually eating. She was getting bottles and eating from a feeding tube at that point, and did for the full three weeks. Now she takes about half of her feedings from bottles (EBM) and half at the breast. I'm working on getting her to feed at the breast full time.

Hang in there! I don't necessarily recommend nipple shields, because I think weaning off of them is very difficult, and there are reportedly issues with milk supply, but I have found that she moved very easily from bottle to breast with the nipple shield on. My lactation consultant tells me that she'll eventually be a strong enough feeder to go shield-free, but I have yet to see much improvement. I just pump after some of my feedings and hope that my milk supply won't be terribly affected. Good luck!

I don't have any experience with nipple shields. Squirting milk in her mouth sounds like a good idea. Would using a Supplemental Nursing System help her to suck harder at the breast? DK. Just a thought. Maye a new LC might provide a fresh perspective as well.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .