Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3.5 week old and still not BF

Default 3.5 week old and still not BF

My baby is 3.5 weeks old and still not wanting to BF. I've worked with a lactation consultant and she is even out of ideas. My baby has latched on and can do it if she wants but the problem is she just does not like going to the breast. It seems to make her mad! I still keep trying at most feedings. Has anyone had any success after this long? Will she ever BF?

Default Re: 3.5 week old and still not BF

What makes you think she's getting mad? She may be frustrated at the slow let down or that she wants.it.now? Maybe she has a preferance for the bottle over the breast? How have you been feeding her? Do you pump? Why hasn't she been feeding from the breast from the beginning
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

That sounds really frustrating! But hang in there. Success for many moms comes slowly, and there are plenty of moms who take even longer than 3.5 weeks to get over the hump with breastfeeding.

When you say you "till keep trying at most feedings," does that mean that your baby is getting a lot of bottles? If so, that could be the problem. Many babies who get bottles early quickly realize that it's a lot easier to feed from the bottle than it is from the breast, and consequently start rejecting the breast. Generally, the best thing you can do in that situation is to take the bottles away, and supplement by alternative methods (if necessary).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

oh yeah your baby is very young yet...

Could you explain more about why you think she is upset?

Every time I put her at the breast she screems and pushes away without even trying to suck. I've tried finger feeding for several days without any luck. Finger feeding just took sooo long that I didn't have any time left to pump or try her at the breast so just had to go back to the bottle. I'm pumping 10-12 times a day.

10-12 times that's wonderful...how much milk are you getting?
    this link might be helpfull to you.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

Is anything near the top of her head? They have a reflex when they're still very new . . . touching the top of the head (hand, blanket, side of the armchair) makes them arch away, which makes them pretty mad if they're trying to nurse.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    10-12 times that's wonderful...how much milk are you getting?
    this link might be helpfull to you.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html
    I'm still oly getting about 20 ozs.

Question Re: 3.5 week old and still not BF

Has ANYONE personally had a baby start nursing after 3.5 weeks?? I've read that yes there have been cases but... is there anyone out there who experienced this first hand?

Smile Re: 3.5 week old and still not BF

I have. My son and I had an awful time. He didn't nurse well for 7 weeks. Sometimes he would scream and cry and refuse the breast. Other times he would latch on but hurt me so badly I had to stop. I would try to nurse once a day so he wouldn't forget, but some days I couldn't even offer the breast (emotionally the struggle was wearing on me). He took EBM most of the time for the first seven weeks. This is what helped me. 1. Feeding him with a bottle sitting upright (kellymom has instructions). 2. Attending bf support group. 3. Taking a break from bf when needed. 4. Try different positions. Side lying worked best for us at first. 5. Time. The last one was hard for me because I was frantic if I didn't get it figured out, he would have to go on formula. LL leaders told me to be patient and it would get better. I didn't believe them, but they were right. Eventually we got it. I also think his mouth grew bigger, and he could open wider which made all the difference. You are doing everything right. Seeking support is the best thing, and be patient. Try to nurse when you can and don't feel guilty when you can't. Babies are smart cookies! Hang in there!
    Last edited by @llli*booknavel; March 12th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .