Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who on here is a SAHM that pumps and stores?

Default Who on here is a SAHM that pumps and stores?

If you are a SAHM and are pumping, are you saving it or tossing it?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should really bother pumping and storing milk. I did it for DS1 because I was working at the time so I needed to do it since I couldn't be at home to nurse him. This time around I'm a SAHM so I've only been pumping to take the pressure out of my boobs, not because I had to.

So what it's come down to as of now is that I've been saving it because I can't get myself to toss it but I'm running out of room fast! I've been doing this for just under 4 weeks now and I have 319oz (as of tonight) of BM in my deep freezer and I'm starting to think I'm a little insane to keep doing it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011

Default Re: Who on here is a SAHM that pumps and stores?

Well, if you stopped pumping, your supply would naturally regulate to your baby's needs. If you are feeling engorged, you could just pump just enough to relieve the engorgement, and soon you really shouldn't need to. I am a SAHM and I hate pumping and so I really just don't do it. If I do, it's to save up for a time I know I'll be away from baby. Otherwise I just don't leave her for more than a couple hours at a time. IF you don't mind pumping, you could always donate your milk

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

If you don't think you will need it for any reason, you could always donate it to a milk bank.

When my youngest son was first born, I had this overwhelming urge to pump pump pump. I don't know why. I guess I had a fear of something happening where I wouldn't be able to breastfeed him for a period of time and I just wanted to be prepared. Once that fear went away, I stopped pumping on a regular basis because I was running out of room in my freezer. I kept the stored milk just in case, but we only used it for an occasional bottle.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post

When my youngest son was first born, I had this overwhelming urge to pump pump pump. I don't know why. I guess I had a fear of something happening where I wouldn't be able to breastfeed him for a period of time and I just wanted to be prepared.
    This actually happened to me when DS2 was just 2 months old; I had an emergency surgery and DS had to be bottle-fed while I was in the ER (his Nana watched him at her house), and then also during and after my surgery. I was sooooo glad I had that milk stored up in the freezer. I didn't have anywhere near 319 oz., though...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Please consider becoming a milk donor!

Milk banks have been having shortages and would love more donated breastmilk!

http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pianosinger View Post
    This actually happened to me when DS2 was just 2 months old; I had an emergency surgery and DS had to be bottle-fed while I was in the ER (his Nana watched him at her house), and then also during and after my surgery. I was sooooo glad I had that milk stored up in the freezer. I didn't have anywhere near 319 oz., though...
    I remember when you posted about that! How scary.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I will say that with DS1 I got mastits TWICE so I'm afraid to leave milk in my breasts for fear I'll get it again with this baby.

Oh and Lynn, I called HMBANA this evening before I posted this so I'm waiting to hear back from them to become a donor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pump and store a little for just in case of an emergency or if we want to have a date night,normally she'll refuse the bottle and wait till I come home, but I just wanted her to have that option... I have about a days worth stashed, and now I barely get half an oz when pumping(I think my body regulated itself better now that she's a wee bit older) so I'm hoping thats enough to last.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sbbeana View Post
    I will say that with DS1 I got mastits TWICE so I'm afraid to leave milk in my breasts for fear I'll get it again with this baby.

Oh and Lynn, I called HMBANA this evening before I posted this so I'm waiting to hear back from them to become a donor
    Yay!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I just wanted to drop by in here and let you all know that I'm in the process of being a donor. I got my info packet today along with some collection bottles from the bank. I also went to the lab they referred me to get my labs drawn. Now all I have to do is wait for the green light and I'll start dropping my milk off