Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to work...Electric pump not allowed at work!

Default Back to work...Electric pump not allowed at work!

I need a recommendation for a good sturdy manual pump for everyday use. I work in a prison and can not bring my electric pump in for many reasons (all of which I completely understand.) I plan to keep the electric in my car for pumping before going on shift and once I get off shift (its an hr.+ long drive home) but I need a manual to use on shift (I found a way around the issue of the electric ) This eliminates the need for me to leave my post to go to my car to pump. So any recommendations would be lovely! I respond well to my electric (PISA) but the hand held attachment I don't respond well to (It will take me far longer than I have time for to get enough milk.)
    Sarah Wife to Michael Mommy to Austin and Steven and Tristyn 1/30/10!

Default Re: Back to work...Electric pump not allowed at work!

I haven't used a manual pump but I've heard really good things about the Avent Isis. The LC in my prebaby class said that a lot of moms got equal amounts of milk in the same time as when they used an electric.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I use the Medela Harmony. I used to use the Medela Pump in Style, but switched because I just got tired of it. I get MORE pumped now, than I did with the PIS! The MH is my new !
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    I use the Medela Harmony. I used to use the Medela Pump in Style, but switched because I just got tired of it. I get MORE pumped now, than I did with the PIS! The MH is my new !
    How is it on your hand/wrist?

Doesn't bother me... I notice that if I pump really fast, it can get achy, but I pump more slowly and steadily usually anyway...
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    Doesn't bother me... I notice that if I pump really fast, it can get achy, but I pump more slowly and steadily usually anyway...
    Good point! Thank You

i second the Avent Isis recommendation! that's the only pump i used for 10 months and i was working anywhere from 16-40+ hours a week.

i was able to pump more milk with it than with my Medela double electric! i fully believe that this is because i would do breast compressions with the supporting hand while pumping with the other.

JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

I have an avent manual and a medela harmony. I would pick my medela over the avent anyday. For what ever reason, my milk always manages to get stuck between the horn and massage cusion on the avent pump and it drives me batty cause it loses suction. With the design of the medela pump, I never have any problems with losing suction.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011

I also had good results with the Medela Harmony--only took a little longer than the electric. I replaced the flange with this angled one, which lets me hold my hand at a more comfortable angle and not feel like I have to lean forward: http://www.pumpinpal.com/html/super_shields.htm

I have the Isis and I've never truly obtained letdown with it. Like a PP mentioned, I'm constantly losing suction because of the petal cushion. I get great results with my Medela PIS. I haven't responded well to the Isis handpump. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work well for you though. GL.