Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to intro bottle for EBM?

Default When to intro bottle for EBM?

My DS is 2.5 weeks old and has exclusively breastfed. He's a good feeder but cluster feeds between about 6-10pm each night. It's beginning to drive me more than a a bit bananas- I've started to dread that time of day. When can I begin to introduce a bottle of EBM for his evening feed(s)? Is now too early? I don't want him to develop nipple confusion.

Would this actually take any pressure off me, or is he in fact cluster feeding for comfort (in which case a bottle probably wouldn't do the trick anyway...)

Also, about how much EBM would I need for each feed?

Default Re: When to intro bottle for EBM?

Hi! Your doing great! You want to wait at least until between 4&5 weeks to introduce the bottle. There is some comfort feeding going on and that is totally normal. But your almost due for a 3 week growth spurt if your not there already and this who 1st 6weeks, you're really establishing your nursing relationship w/ your baby and your LO is growing everyday and needs to get you to produce enough milk to keep up w/his ever growing needs. So just focus on setting up a nursing station during the day and trying to stay put. What worked for me was a boppy pillow, the remotes, the phones and a 20oz glass of water and snacks.
    Just getting up to pee, change the baby and get more food. That's it. That's enough responsiblity for these 1st few weeks.

Once you get to the point where it's okay to iintroduce a pumped bottle, I usually did 4oz and my husband would take the baby for a two hour stretch everyday after dinner. It was a great break. In the early months I used it to nap before the nights of nocturnal cluster feeding, now I sometimes take a shower! Good luck!

My DS also cluster fed for a few hours every night, but outgrew this after the 6 week growth spurt. Hang in there, your'e almost there.

I agree with the PP - wait until about 4-5 weeks or after to introduce a bottle. I personally did earlier than that but I am now learning that I could have set myself up for more problems.

Good luck!

Sorry... DJ over here on the computer doing stuff again!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; September 28th, 2006 at 11:24 PM.