Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dairy products

Default dairy products

I mashed potatoes the other night for my husband and myself. I used skim milk and reduced fat cream cheese. I was thinking about giving some of the potatoes to my son with dinner (he's almost 10 months old) but then I remembered hearing that you shouldn't give a child under 2 low-fat dairy products. Could I have given him some potatoes or will I have to always make potatoes (and other foods) separately for myself and for my son?

Default Re: dairy products

The cream cheese should be fine, especally since it's such a small amount. So long as he's nursing at least 4 times a day, he's getting all the fat he needs that way.

The milk you may want to leave out of his for now. It is recomended that babies under 12 mo recieve NO cow's milk, though yogurt and cheese are fine from about 9 mo (the proteins are different in yogurt and cheese).

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    I'll just tell you that after 6 months everyone but the USA says you can give use milk with cooking but not as a whole drink.
    The desicion is up to you.
    You mean everyone but the USA and CANADA. Well, in Canada the current recomendations are that milk may be offered infrequently after 9 mo. Of course the decision is always up to the individual mommy; even in the USA many moms are offering foods with milk or even milk as a beverage long before 12 mo. You could also ask your Dr what he or she thinks, but still the decision is up to you and not up to your Dr either way.

HeLLLo
    If your family has no history of allergies then you are probably ok. Things like yogurt and cheese are usually OK after 10 months. Whole milk after a year. We hear so much about whole milk for these lo's as they need all the fat that is in the whole milk as skim is obviously less fattening. You should be fine.

There is always a lot of confusion about introducing milk/dairy products into a baby's diet. The problem is that some parents take the term "introducing milk" to mean switching to cow's milk instead of giving breastmilk or formula - as we know, cow's milk is nutritionally inadequate for a baby's needs. But (with your ped's consent) introducing small amounts of milk in cooking - or giving cheese and yogurt - before one year of age is not harmful unless there is a family history of dairy allergy. In fact, cheese and yogurt are excellent foods for baby.