Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning up after return from work

Default Cleaning up after return from work

I was remembering when I pumped for my son, at first I would wash in between pumping & let everything air dry. Then I switched to just rising between pumps & washing at the end of the day & letting air dry.

I was such a pain coming home from work & washing the pump... I don't have the privilege of having a dish washer...

This time around I was thinking that I would put the assembly in the fridge in between pumps, instead of rinsing. Then when I get home from work I will rinse everything & then sterilize using a electric sterilizer?

Anyone see any problems doing it this way?? Do any of you recommend a specific sterilizer? I had bought a microwave sterilizer with my son but it was too big for our microwave...
    due 5/31/2010 - born 3/31/2008

Default Re: Cleaning up after return from work

I have heard that putting everything in the fridge is fine.

I don't sterilize but once a week or so - normally I just rinse w/ really hot water @ the end of the day. For sterilization, I use Medela's steam bags for the microwave. I boil about once a month.

Remember, though, that this only applies for healthy term infants. If your baby is not, you will need to sterilize more often.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I have heard that putting everything in the fridge is fine.

I don't sterilize but once a week or so - normally I just rinse w/ really hot water @ the end of the day. For sterilization, I use Medela's steam bags for the microwave. I boil about once a month.

Remember, though, that this only applies for healthy term infants. If your baby is not, you will need to sterilize more often.

Putting your pump in the fridge is perfectly fine and it will save you a lot of time not having to rinse it every single time you pump.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I put my parts in the fridge, wash them when I need to wash my LO botlles and then boil once a week. You should be fine doing what you plan.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!