Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tap water, OK?

Default Tap water, OK?

Or do I need distilled (not even sure what that means), or boil it, oruse our Brita pitcher, etc? What's safest? Does it matter that we have really hard water here?

LO is 8 months and I want to introduce a sippy cup. She's always picking up our water bottles and putting them in her mouth. I think she would like having her own cup to drink from.

Default Re: Tap water, OK?

Hard water just means there are minerals and salts in the water. Our bodies NEED minerals and salts, yk? As long as you aren't worried about stuff like arsenic being in there (you should be able to find out what exactly is in your water by contacting your water company and asking for a report), it shouldn't be a big deal IMO. You could also ask your pedi, though, to be sure.

I use tap water in small amounts to mix my 7 mo's cereal or to thin his purees.

Water before 1 year should really be limited, though, since it can fill up your lo's tummy, displacing other nutrients.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I would just check with your municipality to see if there's any heavy metals or other things of concern in your area. We live in a 100+ year old house and there is measurable lead in our tap water. It's below the upper threshold of what's "acceptable" but it's there.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I think that if I'm going to drink the tap water, then it's good enough for the children. When I was little, my grandmother would never us drink the hard water (which was well water) at her house... I suspect it may have been the type of minerals, and there may have been contaminants. I agree with PP, you can always just check with your doctor.

Distilled water essentially has no impurities. The water is boiled, and then the steam is condensed which leave all to most of the contaminants behind. The only thing I used distilled water for is my humidifier... the minerals in the tap water (even when filtered) make it hard for me to breath.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Also if you think about it, the water from your faucet is running water where as if you buy a gallon of distilled "baby water", it's been just sitting there. I use the water from my fridge (which is filtered) for my LO.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pianosinger View Post
    Hard water just means there are minerals and salts in the water. Our bodies NEED minerals and salts, yk?
    Hard water typically contains cations (positively charged atoms) of calcium and magnesium. Not anything to be worried about.

But I'm totally that you should check with your muni's water supplier (or test your well) and see what's in your water. I'd be far more worried about lead, heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, and other chemical contamination than I would be about simple hard water.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, would using our Brita pitcher be better? Getting our water report seems a lot harder and I'm not even sure I will know what it means when I get it. Meaning, I'm not sure if then I'll be able to judge if it's really good or not. We drink the water and are fine, so I'm assuming it's fine. I just know that they sell Nursery Water and so I thought maybe babies can't have tap water? Obviously I know nothing about water!

Nursery water is a racket. Like toddler formula and jarred baby food and all the other cr@pola that gets marketed to us moms...

Here's a reference that can help you figure out what the stats in your water report mean: http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/index.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal.. Nursery water is totally unnecessary. And it sits around in plastic jugs for months on end and I'm sure there's BPA in that plastic.

Your municipality should decode any water testing that is done. I'm sure it's fine mama. DD drinks our slightly leaded water.. But since I know it's there, I'm looking for wla way to eliminate it.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63