Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby led

Question baby led

What is baby led? Where can you find it?

Default Re: baby led

Here is a page I have really enjoyed and am implementing it with our daughter's solid food introduction ... baby-led approach to the introduction of solid foods. I really like the idea of letting the baby set the pace and keeping the focus on play and exploration so the transition takes place as naturally as possible. This article and approach to solids was developed by a member of UNICEF, from the UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative.

I think most moms around here skip the extremely pureed foods. If we wouldn't want to eat that icky stuff, why would our babies? Especially when it's coming at them in a way that they can't control (a spoon). I know my little girl would absolutely not stand for being spoon fed ... she's a total "Me Do It Myself" kind of gal! Why not give our babies the chance to naturally explore food by self feeding and give them something delicious, nutritious and closer to what real food tastes like (in texture too) to begin their exploration of the world of foods? Here is another interesting article which is actually from a very mainstream source: Experts Seek to Debunk Baby Food Myths.

So, good luck and have fun when your little one is ready to start solids. That's what the first year of food for baby is supposed to be about ... play, exploration, practice, fun ... no worries!

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Those are both very neat sites! I've never heard of that method before!

I'm just getting all the info I can about everything out there before I take the plunge into first foods!

Quote Originally Posted by heavenstice View Post
    What is baby led? Where can you find it?
    LOL, we are doing the baby-led approach. My DD is almost a year old and not interested in foods. When she gets interested, that's when we'll start.