Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how old was your LO?

Default how old was your LO?

how old was your LO when you started solids? DS just turned 5months. our ped suggested we start rice cereal - we did around 4 1/2months. he likes it, but i feel like its kind of a waste. i don't plan on weaning, but want to introduce something a little more beneficial than the cereal. i was thinking avacado or sweet potato...i just don't know if he's to young to give him those? i guess if he can and will swallow he'd be okay and it's probably alright if he is interested, right

Default Re: how old was your LO?

From kellymom:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

* Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    You're right about the rice cereal, there's not a lot of nutrition to it. If he meets the above criteria (which generally happens around 6 months) you could probably start doing baby led solids if you wanted to. I've been meaning to email you this article. It totally changed the way I was feeding Nora and I loved it with her. It hasn't worked as well with Davis, but he's got other issues. The cool thing about it is that it allows the baby to regulate his own intake, which he's used to doing with nursing. And after the first couple of months you can usually just give baby bits of whatever you are eating, no making separate meals.

If you don't want to do something like that you can still give him mushed up foods. Sweet potato, avocado, and banana are all great places to start with either approach.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We started at 6 months. If you want, you can certainly swap the cereal for sweet potato or avocado, or even cut the solids out for another month or so and focus on giving your baby more breastmilk for the time being.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We started at 6 months. Avocado was first, then banana. We did rice cereal some, but not much, just because he had so much fun with "real" food. Watermelon was a big hit too.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; March 9th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.

we started at 6 months, but DD wasn't really into it and we went for BLS the last 6 weeks is when she's started taking more interest. I give her whatever i'm eating(she likes it better of my plate) but watermelon/canteloupe/papaya/mango that i froze in ice cube trays and put in a mesh feeder she loves for snacks! bite size toast pieces with advocado spread on is another... she also really likes savory things like soup(she'll drink it out of a cup), chili, stew etc. and steak
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Both LO we started OFFERING at 6 mo doing BLS.

DS1 really didn't get into eating until he was about 8.5 mo.

DS2 just started solids and so far seems REALLY into it.

I'll be back with link to thread talking about recommendations for first foods. Looks like the AAP may be recommending to SKIP rice cereal.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Info about starting with other foods than rice cereal.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

5 1/2 months we started with avocado.

The only reason I did rice cereal (now we do oatmeal) is because DH insisted because the ped suggested it :rolleyes

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

we started offering occasionally around 6 months. Started with some banana, brocolli, that sort of thing. Not big on cereal, did try it once, but I liked the concept of BLS better. We didn't start offering more often until about 8 months probably.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We are starting at 6 months. I have randomly let my lo naw on food he has stolen from me, like a peeled apple. He loves to try and get our food and drink out of our cups.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again