Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eye contact during BF

Default eye contact during BF

When did your LO start looking at you during BF? I have been trying to make eye contact with my 5 1/ 2 week old DS when he nurses, but he usually just stares off, or has his eyes closed. He will make eye contact with me at other times, though, like when I hold him or play with him.

It does seem like his head is just too little, and his eyes can't turn enough when he's in the cradle/cross-cradle position, but he doesn't look at me when in the football position either, and then he is practically facing my face.
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: eye contact during BF

I think that might still be early. I want to say it was more like 3 months or so before there was serious eye contact and the resultant smile from that eye contact. This of course is the beginning of the "everything is so much more interesting than nursing" phase that has lasted... dd is 6 months old and I try really hard NOT to look at her while nursing, because then she just wants to laugh and play with funny funny Mommy!!

Enjoy the quiet nursing times--ours are only at the evening and night time feedings now. Your baby is completey content nursing with you--eyes closed and eating the good stuff. Aaaaahhhhh...

Hehe... I know exactly what pp means! My DD started looking at me around three months too and it was so sweet. That was a short lived phase! Now she wants to unlatch every thirty seconds to look around! Or babble and grin instead of eating! Something about the sun going down stops it though!

Enjoy that stage while it lasts! Pretty soon nursing won't put your Lo won't pass out while eating either!

My DS started really looking at me while nursing when he was about 2 1/2 months...and like PP said, then would smile and unlatch, laugh...he gets so distracted now at 3 1/2 mo sometimes - I actually try not to look at him while nursing so he will eat...we have a lot of other play time with eye contact and big laughs!
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

I want to say it was around 3 months too. Now dd does it all the time. Pulled off 6 times at last feeding just to look up at me and smile! Luckily she is a pretty efficient nurser so she doesn't end up wasting a lot of time.

Seemed to be lots of eye contact.

Quote Originally Posted by fadmin View Post
    Seemed to be lots of eye contact.
    Forgive me, I just don't understand what you mean??

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate View Post
    Forgive me, I just don't understand what you mean??
    I was going to post the same thing! Was that an admin just messing around to see if the new changes to the site are working correctly? A "testing" post?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    I was going to post the same thing! Was that an admin just messing around to see if the new changes to the site are working correctly? A "testing" post?
    Yes, this was a testing post to make sure all was working okay after upgrading the bbs software a couple of versions up. Sorry about that! I'll be gone now!

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear my one week old looks up at me when she nurses.