Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else an exclusive pumper?

Default Re: Anyone else an exclusive pumper?

I've been an EPer for 10 months. I couldn't have done it without my rented Medela Symphony. I also ahve a Pump in Style and it just doesn't get the job done -- especially when I was pumping 12 times a day!

I'm using a Pump In Style that I have had for 2 1/2 years. I used the same one with my son who I EPed for 5 months. I've been using the same one for the last 5 weeks to pump 12 times a day. It seems to be holding up ok. I must admit it does make me sore but I just thought that was from the pumping and not really from what pump you had. Do the hospital grade really make that big of a difference?? Why?

I just picked up a Ameda Elite on E-bay for super cheap. I won't be EPing, but pretty close to it w/ the hours I work! I had an Ameda Purely Yours w/ DS1 and IMO it just won't cut it for my needs.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Also, try a larger size breast shield and see if that helps.

I exclusively pumped for 18 months.

I rented a breast pump from the hospital for the first month. I have no idea what type it was; it was a big honking blue thing. But it worked wonders for getting my milk to come in. I had tried before that one that I can't even remember the brand name for from Babies R Us and it SUCKED.

After the month of renting one, I bought a PISA (I think it was an advanced... it had the quick short suction to simulate baby starting to nurse to help encourage the let down). It was the one that came as a handbag.

It worked beautifully for me, and I was originally pumping about 8x a day. By the time I quit I was down to once a day. I highly recommend it.

I also recommend that if you can you get a larger breast shield. The standard size one that comes is often too small for many mothers. If your nipple is rubbing on the side of the tube when it gets pulled in, you should probably try the next size up. I moved to the next size up and it did wonders for my comfort and the amount I was able to express.

I know that for me I also didn't just pump for 15 minutes straight. I would pump for about 3-5ish, and when it looked like the milk was coming out low, I would use my finger to break the suction and hand express some milk for about 10-15 seconds, and then put the pump back on. Sometimes I would have to hand express longer. I had a problem where I would get what I can only describe as little hard balls of dried milk that would come just to where you could see them through the skin of your nipple but they wouldn't come out with the pump. I would have to hand express and use quite a bit of pressure behind them to get them to break through (some of them were fairly large when you consider how big the openings in your nipple are for milk to flow through and I won't lie -- it hurt). As soon as I'd get them worked out, the milk would suddenly be flowing like mad again. I never did figure out what was causing it, and I know they say when you're hand expressing you should never put pressure around the nipple, but I had to with these; they wouldn't come out otherwise.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.