Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 mo old dropping feeding?

Default 9 mo old dropping feeding?

My ds is 9 months old. I work full time and pump two times during the day. I get an average of 12 to 14 ounces a day. Recently this has been our schedule…ds nurses first thing in the morning at around 6:30 and then eats breakfast, drinks all of the ebm I take the sitter most days and has a couple of solid food snacks during the day, nurses when we get home at 5:30, eats dinner and then nurses again before he goes to bed at 7:00 (he sleeps all night). On the weekends, he nurses on demand, which ends up being about 6 times during the day. He is growing normally and hitting all of his milestones.

In the last week or so, I have been finding that he doesn’t really want to nurse well both times in the evening. He’ll usually have a nursing “snack” before dinner and twice, when I could tell that he wasn’t all that interested, he bit me…ow! Right before bed, he nursed again really well. That being said, here’s my question. Is he trying to tell me that he is ready to give up the before dinner feeding? At 9 months, is it normal for him to start gradually nursing a little less? I would really love some guidance from some other working/pumping moms!

Default Re: 9 mo old dropping feeding?

I have an 8 month old and she has been less interested in nursing lately too. I'm not really sure what it is all about. I work and she gets 2 bottles a day at daycare and solid food. Sometimes she isn't even all that interested in nursing for long when I get home with her. I don't know why either. Sorry I'm not much help but I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Hopefully somebody else will respond with some sage advice.

I have 9 month old ds also. He has become less and less interested bc of distractions, we have to nurse in the dark, quiet room, the whole 9 yards. Occasional he will nurse in the family room, but usually only in the late afternoon if his teeth are hurting etc. He usually eats around 9am, 12:30pm, snacking from 3-5 ( always so much going on) nurse again around 6 or 7 and then mostly every 3 hr during the night. He does have some solids at breakfast, lunch and dinner, maybe 1 and 1/2 jars at each meal. I hope that this helps.

Great job on noticing this new behavior, Moms And did you notice there were three of you going through similar situations? Here's why:

8-9 months is a very typical time to see "nursing strikes" in babies. Often there is an underlying reason such as teething, developmental milestone (crawling, even walking), inturrupted schedule (holidays or guests in the home), etc. Many moms find if they wish to continue nursing, they need to be careful about handling a strike or they could end up with a reduced milk supply and a reluctant nurser. On the other hand, some mothers take this opportunity to wean (although the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends babies be breastfed at least until they are one year old, and the World Health Organization recommends two years old).

Here is additional information you may find helpful: Is Baby Weaning or Is It a Nursing Strike?

LLstacie, What is the recommended number of times a day and how long each time should babies 8-9 months be coming to the breast a day? Should they take both breasts at each feeding. Thanks

I also want to know at what age it is ok/normal for him to start slowly dropping feedings?