Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing to Wean

Default Preparing to Wean

I am wanting to find out the best way to prepare to wean. My daughter is 7 months old. I exclusively breastfeed and I am wanting to give her juice. I am not for sure how to do this. Should I start with a bottle and move to a sippy cup? Or should I just start with a sippy cup? Any suggestions would be great. Also how long can you store breastmilk in the freezer?

Default Re: Preparing to Wean

Why do you want to give her juice? It is mostly sugar water and will take up space that should be filled by more nutrient dense foods like breastmilk. My 11 m.o. DS drinks water from a sippy cup and eats a few finger-foods, but mostly for entertainment. He will most likely nurse for at least the WHO recommended 2 years.
    At this point, I wouldn't bother with a bottle. Avent makes a nice soft spouted sippy cup that infants seem to enjoy.

Just to clarify: Are you planning on weaning before dd turns one year old? If so, you would need to discuss formulas with your doctor. If you are just looking to supplement her with occasional juice, then you could do that with a sippy cup. There would be no need to introduce the bottle, as she should still be getting her main source of nutrition through your milk.

Here is a link to some information on storing expressed breastmilk.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

I am wanting to wean her at one year. She will take breastmilk from a bottle but I haven't found a sippy cup that she can do yet. And when I pump I only pump like 2 ounces. I actually just thought that if I could give her juice from a cup it would teach her to take something other than me. I just want the transition from the breast to a sippy cup to be the easiest that it can. Also another question that I have is my daughter is 8 months and I wanted to know how many feedings she should have a day? I think we are at 8. SO she usually does 6 during the day and 2 at night.

2 oz is perfectly normal when pumping! I don't know who told you that was not enough. If she's bf 8 times in 24 hrs, that is exactly what she should be doing at this stage. She is getting more milk from your breast than the pump is, but that is also very normal; I don't think there is a pump available that can come close to the effiency of a baby at the breast.

Does she eat solids as well?

She eats oatmeal in the morning and night. and in the afternoon she eats 1 and a half jars of baby food. I realize that she gets more when she feeds than pumping. But I don't understand how people do both. It just seems like pumping is really hard. Since not a whold lot of milk comes out. Call me stupid but I really need someone to give me a play by play of what to do when you are weaning? I mean I know that you want to get your feedings down. So do you like cut one feeding out a week or what exactly do you do? And how do you keep from getting mastitis during that time?

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Amber - Have you ever seen the book "the Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning"? You might want to get your hands on it. It gives guides for different ages when you are trying to wean.

Ultimately, you have to start replacing breastfed feedings with either a bottle or sippy cup (and the Avent ones with the soft spout are a good start) with expressed breast milk or formula. Breastmilk or formula needs to continue to be the main source of nutrition until they are a year old at least. So, anything you do otherwise is just going to be for learning new tastes and textures.

I would also suggest that you avoid juice... at this age, you can do water and breastmilk and formula. It's not empty calories and better for your baby. At a year old, if you don't have any cow's milk allergies, you can start introducing cow's milk into the sippy cup.

Did that help at all? You just want to slowly replace breastfed feedings with someone of substance... emphasis on slowly... that's how you avoid mastitis and engorgement and all that, ya know?

Anyway, I'd suggest you get your hands on that book. I think it will help you a lot.

Jacqui

I would also like to suggest LLLI's "How Weaning Happens". It is an excellent book on the topic!

You say you want to wean her at one year. Does that mean you want her completely off the breast at one year? Or do you mean you want to start weaning at one year (even if it takes a month or two after she's one yo to completely wean)?