Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my baby sister and her baby

Default my baby sister and her baby

My sister just delivered her almost 6-week-early son on Saturday. I haven't been able to see her because of DD, but we've talked and facebooked several times. I'm concerned she's getting damaging lactation advice. Her baby apparently doesn't have the coordination to suck and swallow so they are feeding him through a tube. In the mean time she's pumping but the LC hammered into her head "every THREE hours" so she's only pumping every three hours during the day! I told her to pump ever hour or two around the clock and make sure he gets as much of her liquid gold as possible! I've also directed her here and to KellyMom.com but is there anything else I can suggest?
    Kirsten, Full-Time Mother To:
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

I am generally or or both
    I cloth diaper and nurse in public, proudly!

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Default Re: my baby sister and her baby

I think you gave her great advice. My LC (who was a lifesaver) told us to pump every 1 1/2 to 2 hours around the clock, and it worked great. We were exhausted, but the milk was flowing!

That's what I thought! And how horrible would it be if she took that advice to heart and would only feed him every 3 hours when he comes home! Ugh!!!
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

hmm, I pumped every 3 hours at first and by the second week was producing enough to feed triplets. I mean seriously, they asked me to stop bringing in milk, they didn't have enough room in the fridge. I think part of it depends on how much the baby is getting and what she is pumping. Of course once the baby starts nursing and comes home, everything she did before goes out the window. That's probably what she needs to understand, is that now she's on a clock, but will not always be. Are they supplementing? Is she not giving them enough? If that's the case, then for sure increase the amount of pumping. And most importantly, kangaroo care. I think all that time I spent with my daughter really made the milk flow. Also, be sure that they do not push a nipple shield. There are so many better ways to get a preemie to latch.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    hmm, I pumped every 3 hours at first and by the second week was producing enough to feed triplets. I mean seriously, they asked me to stop bringing in milk, they didn't have enough room in the fridge. I think part of it depends on how much the baby is getting and what she is pumping. Of course once the baby starts nursing and comes home, everything she did before goes out the window. That's probably what she needs to understand, is that now she's on a clock, but will not always be. Are they supplementing? Is she not giving them enough? If that's the case, then for sure increase the amount of pumping. And most importantly, kangaroo care. I think all that time I spent with my daughter really made the milk flow. Also, be sure that they do not push a nipple shield. There are so many better ways to get a preemie to latch.
    All of that.

And with everything *we* know now it is easy to say that the three hour feeds in the NICU are preposterous, but those babies go through a lot and frankly can only handle so much. Would it be awesome to be able to try and feed every hour and hold and cuddle etc? For sure. But they also are fighting very hard to make up for that amount of time that they missed in the cozy environment of the womb, and that takes rest too.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    And with everything *we* know now it is easy to say that the three hour feeds in the NICU are preposterous, but those babies go through a lot and frankly can only handle so much.
    This is key. NICU's have a tendency to pump them full of food to try and get them to gain weight, but in reality they aren't meant to eat that much. Their bodies are barely working. Her baby isn't a newborn yet. I had to keep reminding people that MK wasn't meant to be out of my womb yet, so the rules are completely different.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My son was born at 32 weeks and spent 3 weeks in the NICU. I only pumped every 4 hours (6 hrs through the night) because at every session I was producing 3-4 times the amount he was taking in a feeding. I have continued to produce way more than he needed and have tons of milk in the freezer. He is now 5 weeks old (37 wks adjusted) and is doing about half of his feedings totally at the breast but still when I pump I am easily able to produce the 2-3 oz that he needs in less than 5 minutes. So I guess that it just depends on what her supply is like as to what she needs to do. I chose to take the stress free easier route because it was working for me.

I pumped every 3 hours and ended up shipping several coolers full of breastmilk to a milk bank when my son came home from the NICU after 2 months. I have a really good milk supply so I didn't need to pump more often than that. If she's trying to increase milk supply, then every 2 hours or so might be better for her. And doing some other things to increase supply too, so let us know if that's an issue and we can suggest some things to help with that.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Little Caleb is HOME! He's gaining weight and doing well, although he'll be on a monitor for a month or so. She's still primarily pumping but happy with how things are going, so I sit on my hands a lot.
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009