Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping / Fenugreek/ Supply HELP!!!

Default Pumping / Fenugreek/ Supply HELP!!!

I really really need help...I'm at my wits end and I really really do not want to give up breastfeeding. I already cannot nurse my baby from my breasts because he has latching on issues and was loosing WAAY too much weight in the beginning. I've been pumping and bottle feeding since day one because I really had my heart set on breastfeeding. Now, it's like I can barely keep up with his demand and he's only 3 weeks old. I'm scared I'm going to have to stop and switch to formula if things don't get better. I bought some Fenugreek and have been taking 2 pills 3 times a day and drinking one cup of the milkmaid tea, and eating oatmeal. Nothing seems to be working...so, I'm thinking it could be my pump? Evenflo...has anyone tried these? Is it just a crappy pump? Am I taking the correct doseage of Fenugreek?

Default Re: Pumping / Fenugreek/ Supply HELP!!!

Definitely increase your fenugreek to 3 pills, 3x per day. If your sweat/urine stink (some people say maple syrup, I just think they stink), you're taking enough. Make sure you drink enough water. If your supply isn't satisfactory after 4-5 days, increase fenugreek again. I also find that the brands can vary in potency.

Personally, I also take Blessed Thistle, 3 pills 3x per day.

The pump can make a difference, can you visit a LLL leader or LC to have them check if it's working ok? Also put your baby next to you while pumping so you get the smell/sight to help your hormones out.

Also, keep trying to latch him on (unless there's a physical reason), one day he'll get it! Mine does awesome on the left side (even when the nipple is relaxed and flat) but the right ...

You can also try the lactation cookies.http://www.recipezaar.com/Oatmeal-Ch...rujillo-192346

If you need to feed him more than you can pump, you can add formula meals, but I say keep up with the breastmilk as much as you can.