Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy when nursing - cluster feeding or gas?

Question Fussy when nursing - cluster feeding or gas?

Hi. My son is 2.5 weeks and nursing well. Every few days he's very fussy for several hours. He wants to nurse but will push the breast away, grab it again, fuss, repeat. This tends to happen in the morning or early afternoon. I thought this was cluster feeding, but someone else surmised it was gas or some other such discomfort. I don't eat much dairy or gassy veggies, but ds sometimes doesn't want to burp between breasts. He usually nurses to sleep, so I don't usually burp after he takes the second breast. Thoughts, advice??

Default Re: Fussy when nursing - cluster feeding or gas?

I went through a similar time with my dd and really I don't have the answer to your question as far as is it gas or hunger or what. I think it just takes time to figure your baby out and read her signals. If it is at a certain time of day each time, it is likely that he is cluster feeding, or I have heard again and again that babies have a fussy time of day. What I did to help myself figure out if she was hungry or gassy or just tired was to try something else besides nursing for a few minutes. Patting on the back, rocking, pacifier, etc, etc. Trial and error. If none of that seemed to help, then I will put her back on the breast, usually more successfully. What I have figured out with my dd (every baby is different) is that she often wants to keep sucking just to suck and when she keeps getting milk in her already full tummy, she gets upset. Times like this I would give her a pacifier. However, she has started to reject the pacifier so what is working right now is for me to hold her next to my breast, or to put my two forefingers up against her lips. She kind of "comfort sucks" with the skin next to her lips and falls right to sleep.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

My DS is similar to the previous post. I think he just wants to comfort suck after he is finished and when he continues to get milk he gets frustrated. At this point I burp him and give him a pacifier and it seems to calm him down. At first I thought maybe the one breast was empty and would offer the other one but he would get more frustrated! I have tried several things and the pacifier seems to work. My DS's fussy time is evening though and it might also be due to being overtired.

Could you have an Overactive letdown? Are you spraying milk when feeding? I had this problem in the past also, there are many other posts about this if this is your problem. My DS would start to choke on the milk since it was forcing its way down his throat, and he would start to fuss and cry.

Good luck, I hope you find the right solution!

I have overactive letdown and what I've been doing since I don't have a breast pump yet is letting baby suck until the let down happens. Usually at this time she pulls away anyway because the milk is too much for her. Then I let the spray go into a bottle until it slows down (usually about a minute). Then I give her the breast back. Sometimes she gets upset about this, but it's better in the long run because she's less gassy when I do this.

I was wondering about the cluster feeding thing. I'll start feeding her and she'll fall asleep very early on. I'll try to wake her up but she won't wake up. Then I'll lay her down and about 15 or 20 minutes later she'll wake up and want to eat again. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happened today and a couple of other times. I had to do this three times before she finally stayed asleep. I would have just kept feeding her, but she wouldn't wake up to eat anymore, and she didn't even act like she was still hungry when I got her to open her eyes briefly. Is this what they call cluster feeding?