Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

My son is 4 months old so we're still a minimum of 2 months to go until I start to introduce solids, but I was wondering when do you introduce a sippy cup.
    And what do you put in it? Water or breastmilk?

Should I let him explore and play with it so he's familiar with it or would that confuse him that it was once a toy, but now its not?

I got him one with handles on it, but should I get one without so he can choose what he wants to hold?

I also plan to do BLS with him and am really looking forward to the fun that we're going to have. And I think my dog will enjoy it as well! But what do we do when we're out? Do I bring along a few purees so I can feed that to him? Or will he just not get solids?
    In the summer I plan on going to the beach for about 2 trips of 5 days each. Most times we eat lunch on the beach and I dont think the beach is a place to let DS play with his food (I'm worried about the sand). And if we go out to eat, I'm not sure how that would work.
    We're still quite a few months from that, but i'm curious. And I think the warmer weather has gotten me into summer mode!
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Default Re: A few questions

4 months is when I introduced T to a sippy. I put BM in it...he wasn't interested. So I put some water in it...he liked it okay (now he loves it)...

For a while I just let him "play" with it...I wanted him to be comfortable and familiar with it before I put anything in it.

He still needs my help tipping it up for him to get liquid out, but for the most part he loves his sippy.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

I didn't introduce it til about 9 months. I just didn't really think of it, and I didn't think A needed it. Ped told us at about 8.5 months to intro it. I don't see a problem in introducing it earlier though. Ped told us to put formula in it to "beef him up" but we didn't. I would say go for water. A is still learning, actually just today was the first time he held onto it and was drinking from it.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Water works too cuz they make a mess! You might want to let him play with it like Letta said. We put water in it at first and let A have it, but he would just knock it around. So maybe give it without anything at first, then once he starts putting it to his mouth put some water in it
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

i'll let him start to explore it and see what he does. I'm sure a part of it will go into his mouth just not sure which

Good idea about leaving it empty until he brings the spout to his mouth.
    When he does get that, how much water should i put in it? Just enough to cover the bottom?
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

We introduced a sippy cup (of water) when Thomas was around 7 months old. I think I remember reading that babies really aren't supposed to have water before 6 months because their kidneys aren't ready to deal with it? We did water because it was hard enough to pump enough for a couple of bottles a day, so I couldn't afford for him to dump a cup of breast milk. It was a long time before he actually drank any significant amount, but he had fun playing with it.

ETA: If you're putting water in a sippy cup, I wouldn't think they'd be getting much of it anyway, so the no-water thing may not apply. I'm going to try to find the links about water so I can refresh my memory!
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; March 8th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.