Hi everyone,

I need some advice on pumping and feeding, but I should probably give you a good idea of what all has been going on first.

DD is 3 weeks and 3 days. I've been having trouble with breastfeeding. At our doctor's appointment, she was a little low on the weight gain side, averaging a little less than half an ounce a day. We started giving her a bottle in addition to the breastfeeding, which she took just fine. She was eating around 2 to 2.5 oz. She started gaining more weight but began to get more fussy in general. Unless she's licking her lips or making other feeding cues (which she does often!), we try to see if we can calm her through all the other usual methods before putting her back to the breast. It seems that the breast is the only thing that would calm her, but she'd only be there for 1-3 minutes before she'd stop feeding and just start sucking, or she'd pull herself off. But, if you try to pull her away from the breast or put her down, she repeats the cycle. She'd sometimes do 4-5 of these short feeds in an hour, sometimes every hour. She was gaining weight though, so we continued with this approach for a few days. Then she began to have stomach aches and gas. I've stopped eating dairy, since I read that could be the cause, but it's only been a couple of days and probably not enough to have had an effect yet. I also read that this could be caused by an imbalance of foremilk and hindmilk; basically, since she's only feeding for so short of a time, she mostly gets foremilk at each feeding. That brings us to where I currently am, which is feeding her primarily from a bottle because that way she gets a good mix of foremilk and hindmilk. Her fussiness has decreased and her gas seems to have improved. However, she's eating so much! We tried the Pur newborn nipples, but she seemed too frustrated with it (I have a fast flow), so we switched to the Avent 0-3 month nipples. She takes the bottle very well, but she eats around 3 oz per sitting and seems to want to keep going! We try to calm her or at least distract her for a little while, then we end up giving her another bottle of 3 oz, which she finishes again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 6 oz in 1.5 hours too much for someone her age? She doesn't spit up any of the milk, though, and she drinks through the bottle actively. We've only been doing this for a couple of days, but at this rate, she's exceeding the 24 oz per day I read about on Kelly mom. I also still breastfeed her but generally for comfort and bonding, and only if I've pumped recently - which I try to do every 2.5 hours (4 at night).

Sorry for the long post, but I'm running out of ideas. I don't want to overfeed my baby, but I also don't want her to be in pain or not get enough food to eat. Any advice is much appreciated!

Michelle